Girling vs ATE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Girling vs ATE

Does it really matter what calipers are on the front or back? Obviously, you want a matching pair in the front and in the back but can I run Girlling up front and Ate in the back or visa versa? Thanks dlm 1991 318is (coming back to life).

if piston sizes are same between each brand which is surely the case then wont matter just have the fronts the same and rears the same with all associated brackets to mount to knuckle etc.
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

All rear disk brakes were made by ATE.
      I don't know about drum brakes.

Comment

As an axle set it seems to make no real difference from a performance standpoint. Clearly, racers used to prefer the ATE fronts since there are/were solid bushing kits available.

That said, I'd bet that there is some difference in clamping load curves between the two manufacturers, so having on ATE and one Girling on the front could potentially cause the car to brake steer in normal operation.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
          As an axle set it seems to make no real difference from a performance standpoint. Clearly, racers used to prefer the ATE fronts since there are/were solid bushing kits available.

That said, I'd bet that there is some difference in clamping load curves between the two manufacturers, so having on ATE and one Girling on the front could potentially cause the car to brake steer in normal operation.
          Yeah I wouldn't run different manufacturers on the same axles( front or rear). Gotta get in there and do the whole brake system over once the weather breaks since my garage is cold as hell. dlm ny county

Comment

Can't do different mfrs on the rear axle, as mentioned ATE only.

Comment

come to think of it mine were girling front and ate rears but have since ditched the girlings
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
              X