Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Toe/Camber Options

So I been readin' this site:

And it occurs to me that, instead of eccentric bushings or camber correction subframe kits, why don't we just raise the TA mounting points (rip out, add steel, weld in new) equivalent to roughly whatever the drop is?

You'd maintain the best part of the camber/toe curves by bringing the rest position of the suspension back to nearly horizontal.

Am I crazy? Failing this, are the correction kits superior to eccentric RTABs?
    '89 335is +turbo

While I'm here, is this feasible for the E30 Subframe bushings/Diff mounts? I can't tell if the E30 ones are hollow at all like the e28...I guess new bushings are so cheap it's not even worth it though.

Looks like it: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/imag...gpnrsfm_lg.jpg

The inner metal cylinder of the old bushing is higher up in the sleeve than the new. This is because the rubber around it has weakened. This is probably the original 21-year-old bushing.

Last edited by Lurker27; 04-14-2010, 11:40 PM.
    '89 335is +turbo

Comment

I believe Massive Lee was selling a kit awhile ago to raise the rear subframe for exactly this purpose.

Comment

It would seem to me that the hard part about raising the trailing arm pick up points would be doing it in a manner that resulted in equal camber and correct toe. Small errors in the placement of the new tabs has a big affect on camber and toe.

Between eccentric bushings and camber/toe correction kits, the latter wins hands down. The eccentric bushings tend to drift out of alignment and getting camber and toe correct is a real pain since the adjustments aren't independent.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Good point. It seems like the weld-in tabs would suffer that fate a little, too. So, correction kit + Poly RTABs is the trick setup then?
          '89 335is +turbo

Comment

There have been discussions on raising the subframe to do this by flipping the bushings upside down. Massive is making solid bushings ones and looks there are some poly ones available now that do this with more offset.

My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
            4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

raising the subframe is not new.. BMW did it way back in the E30 M3 DTM days. 12mm, and it does make a good difference in toe/camber.

funny how a lot of "new" parts/ideas these days are actually recycled stuff from the early 90's..
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                raising the subframe is not new.. BMW did it way back in the E30 M3 DTM days. 12mm, and it does make a good difference in toe/camber.

funny how a lot of "new" parts/ideas these days are actually recycled stuff from the early 90's..
                You'd just think it would be more common, since it decreases suspension binding compared to the other solutions...but there is no commercially available solution for it now.
                '89 335is +turbo

Comment

look in the post above you..
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Ah, good stuff. Thanks. Anyone running those?

EDIT: At this point I might just let search run its course
                    Last edited by Lurker27; 04-15-2010, 08:36 AM.
                    '89 335is +turbo

Comment

Good info. Didn't know AKG had ploy bushings that would raise the rear. I'm going to do this soon.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        I don't see how this is a surprise; we don't really know anything more relevant nowadays than we did back then, which was also when people actually cared about E30s, as they weren't 20 year old shitboxes.

Comment

Can someone explain how raising the subframe changes things? I'm missing something and not able to visualize how this works.

Comment

Basically, you have your alignment settings at some value based on the position of the trailing arms at some distance away from being straight back off the subframe (parallel to the ground)

When you lower the car, the arm is already at an angle pointing UP off the ground, which also increases negative camber and toe in. When the suspension compresses under load, you'll gain even more negative camber and toe in, to the point of having too much. You can change the static setting (but retain the portion of the camber and toe curve you're on) by using the weld in subframe fix or eccentric trailing arm bushings.

Raising the subframe, on the other hand, is basically anti-lowering from the standpoint of suspension geometry (but retains the lower CG benefit). You totally shift the position on the camber curve, so your static camber and toe are closer to stock, and the camber and toe-in gain under suspension compression are closer to stock.

With respect to wheel motion, the camber gain is linear, so the effect is the same. However, by raising the subframe, you'll get less dynamic gain in toe-in compared to correcting with the weld-in fix.

I'm not sure which is faster in practice. Some toe-in is desirable to plant the rear in cornering.
                            '89 335is +turbo

Comment

When you say raising the subframe do you mean moving it away from the car, essentially spacing away from the body?

Comment

Working...
                              X