Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worse caster w/ Treehouse eyeballs CABs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wheel moving forward means that you have more caster. I don't really know what you all mean by "worse" caster, but part of the point of M3 CABS/THR eyeballs is that they add caster by pulling the rear of the arm towards the outside of the car. this effectively will push the wheel forward in the well due to the angle of the arm. It will also create a bit of toe out if you don't get an alignment.
    Last edited by gearheadE30; 09-09-2010, 07:08 PM.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
      Adding caster will result in less of a tendency for the wheel to return to center.
      I think you need to read up a bit more on caster.
      My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
      4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
        I think you need to read up a bit more on caster.
        This.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
          The wheel moving forward means that you have more caster. Adding caster will result in less of a tendency for the wheel to return to center. That's just the way it is; I haven't seen much that can fix it. I don't really know what you all mean by "worse" caster, but part of the point of M3 CABS/THR eyeballs is that they add caster by pulling the rear of the arm towards the outside of the car. this effectively will push the wheel forward in the well due to the angle of the arm. It will also create a bit of toe out if you don't get an alignment.
          thank you

Comment

^no, im pretty sure gearhead is all wrong.
            sigpic
            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
            1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by mikeedler View Post
              ^^thats a bunch of crap that is probably going to throw your steering wheel off center
              Only if you don't do it right. The correct procedure is to start with the wheel centered. Then adjust both tie rods as needed to set correct toe and keep the steering wheel centered.

Note that the steering wheel being centered doesn't necessarily mean that the rack is centered. The steering wheel could have been off in the past. The first time I align a car I center the rack and adjust the steering wheel if necessary, then I align the wheels.

Setting zero front toe is easy, but on a street car 1/16" of total toe will yield more civilized handling.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Okay, sorry, yeah I am wrong. I had it explained to me that way by a guy at a track one time and never looked it up to verify it. My bad. Aside from the centering thing, was the rest about the geometry and such correct?

*original post edited to avoid confusion.
                Last edited by gearheadE30; 09-10-2010, 01:02 PM.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Paying $60-$85 is super cheap to have your car properly aligned, unfortunately most generic tire shop techs know as much as some of the people posting in this thread. Get it done right and it will pay off with the first set of tires that you do not destroy.
                  Used to drive E30s.

Comment

Just a little something to add to this discussion.

I just emailed jon @ treehouse with the concern that my wheels moved further forward to the point where they rub the inner fender liner (stock bottle caps) when I installed the thr cabs with brand new Lemmy control arms.

He sated this should not happen as the CABS were designed to have the same specs as oem m3 cabs. He then went on to state that he believes the specs on the control arms have changed over the years or are differnt from supplier to supplier. I wish I had my original control arms to see, because my wheels were not this far forward with my original arms and oem m3 cabs.

He also stated this huge increase in caster is fine and will not be a safety concern. So now I get to say because racecar everytime someone asks why my wheels are so far forward lol.
                    Last edited by AnimalE30; 10-29-2011, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnimalE30 View Post

I just emailed jon @ treehouse with the concern that my wheels moved further forward to the point where they rub the inner fender liner (stock bottle caps) when I installed the thr cabs with brand new Lemmy control arms.

He sated this should not happen as the CABS were designed to have the same specs as oem m3 cabs. He then went on to state that he believes the specs on the control arms have changed over the years or are differnt from supplier to supplier. I wish I had my original control arms to see, because my wheels were not this far forward with my original arms and oem m3 cabs.

He also stated this huge increase in caster is fine and will not be a safety concern. So now I get to say because racecar everytime someone asks why my wheels are so far forward lol.
                      I just installed the same as above and am experiencing the same "wheels pushed forward" as seen in the pics earlier in this thread. So my question is, does everyone with the treehouse eyeballs end up with this? Or is it really that lemforder(sp?) just up and decided one day to change these control arms...seems weird.

Comment

The only other thing that would affect the position of the wheel would be the subframe. Is it possible yours is bent or something? Maybe adding the mounts amplified some damage that had been there.

Comment

I have THR CABS and my wheels are way more centered in the wheel wells, compared to the 2nd pic posted above. The first doesn't look too bad, but the 2nd one doesn't look right.

Comment

Originally posted by AnimalE30 View Post

There is some misunderstanding between you and Jon, he is talking about how those are made specific for m3, not regular e30. m3 and non m3 have different CAB so of course your suspension is going to be whack outwith an alignment.
                            Last edited by mr.vang; 01-24-2012, 02:01 AM.
                            Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

Working...
                            X