RTAB Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RTAB Install

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger and replacing my squeaky urethane trailing arm bushings with some eccentric OEM rubber ones.

I think the urethane ones will just pull out, but what tool do you guys use to install the new rubber ones?

Would a C-Clamp work? I'm sure I could make something out of pipe and a threaded rod/nut combo.
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

AKG has a tool, you can probably make something similar at the hardware store.
    I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Paypal: vdang5@gmail.com

Delta Auto Care
    2875-C Towerview Road
    Herndon, VA

My Feedback Thread: Evil_Twin

Comment

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Or

Rear Trailing Arm Bushing Removal Tool
      For BMW e30 (318 323 325 M3), e36 (318ti only), Z3
      Greatly simplifies the removal & installation of factory and AKG bushings
      Click here for instructions

#RTABTL
      Price: $35.00
      Qty:
      Email to Friend Email item info to a friend
      I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Delta Auto Care
      2875-C Towerview Road
      Herndon, VA

Comment

And don't do what dude at bfc, make sure you grease it up. It will help with the installation and the squeaking.

Delta Auto Care
        2875-C Towerview Road
        Herndon, VA

Comment

Awesome, thanks. I'm putting rubber ones back in bc my urethane ones squeak like a mofo.
          Originally posted by Gruelius
          and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

i put them both in a vice and pressed them in half way. Then added a socket (1 1/4 if i remember correctly) to the back as a spacer then put it back in the vice

Comment

My IE bushings are squeaking like no other as well. Boy do I regret going with urethane bushings.

Time to swap 'em out. It's not gonna be fun :(

Comment

Turns out that using a teflon (ptfe) based lube will quite them down substantially. Look into the tri-flow, super lube, or BG brand. Bicycle shops or sporting good stores are a good place to source these.

Will report back with the results.

Comment

would be smart to add zerk fittings so you can grease them, but then again that might be a bit difficult.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                  Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

if they could make channels for the grease to stay in Im sure it would quiet down better.

Delta Auto Care
                    2875-C Towerview Road
                    Herndon, VA

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
                      would be smart to add zerk fittings so you can grease them, but then again that might be a bit difficult.
                      I did add zerk fittings, but it doesn't seem to help. Like the sqeak is coming from the external flange, not from the round part inside the arm.

I have the Powerflex bushings which supposedly don't squeak.

Comment

I've yet to see a poly bushing that won't squeak unless the bushings are removed an lubed a couple of times a year. The only place I'll use poly on a car that is street driven, where the noise is objectionable, is for the subframe and differential bushings. I like solid offset CAB's and OR trailing arm bushings. A race car or track toy can run poly because the noise doesn't matter.
                        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I've had the same poly bushings for 8 years, they do not squeak. I've never taken them out to regrease them. I used whatever lube IE supplied when I bought them.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Not sure if you've done it yet, but I tried the eccentric tab and they are horrible. They end up moving from where you set them. After having my issues i fully searched and found many people having the same issue. I've heard the only way for true camber correction is the adjustable mounting tab method or doing your own cut and weld.

Thanks for mentioning the squeaking poly though... I was just about to install a set to replace my eccentric and now I may consider another option. I had the AKG ones ready to go, but I can't deal with squeaking.

Comment

I have AKG poly all around and I only get squeaking on the passenger rear side. It seems a bit bouncier and less-planted than the driver-side rear. Should I check the RTABS? I don't mind squeaking really if the performance is there, but it just doesn't seem planted.

Comment

Working...
                              X