tips for control are removal.??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tips for control are removal.??

i'm trying to remove the control arms, to replace the ball joints in an '87 325ic. i am having a hard time getting to the bolt that attaches the arm to the sub frame. any tips?

Beat a 22mm wrench with a hammer until it has a good bend in it.

I prefer the 8lb sledge with the wrench on a curb, but when you hit that motherfucker, it will fly.

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

On my vert I used a regular snap on wrench in I belive a 22mm as stated above. I just had to turn it like 2 nothes at a time. It took forever but it will work.
      I need your obd1 parts! Harness intake ecu etc.

E30 Your Daily Money Pit

Comment

Impact wrench or a large breaker bar. And I don't mean a pipe on the end of a ratchet.

Comment

Originally posted by BrettsE30 View Post
          On my vert I used a regular snap on wrench in I belive a 22mm as stated above. I just had to turn it like 2 nothes at a time. It took forever but it will work.
          My "taco wrench" gets damn near 1/4 turn. Lots of guys just cut a wrench shorter, but the taco wrench kicks ass on all of that.

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

why is there a problem getting to this? are the cabrios different?

be very careful if you're just replacing the ball joint. they will pop the fuck out with a vengeance halfway through....
            AWD > RWD

Comment

I cut the boxed end off of a wrench so I could fit breaker on it

Comment

I get to mine from the top with extensions and a swivel...both off in less than 15 minutes.
                Suspension tips here...
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Swivel from the top and breaker bar!

As for the rest of control arm compress the ball joint with a jack, hit it with a hammer HARD a few time. Take jack off and it should slid out. Same goes for outer!

Don't use wd40 on bushings it will eat away at rubber, silicon spray is better and won't degrade bushings

Comment

I managed to get mine off with just a large adjustable wrench. It wasn't easy, but I didn't have a 22mm wrench handy.
                    I don't always wreck cars, but when I do I wreck them into trees.

91' 318is S50 swap - The Black Widow

Comment

Originally posted by lbreevesii View Post
                      I managed to get mine off with just a large adjustable wrench. It wasn't easy, but I didn't have a 22mm wrench handy.
                      I had pretty good luck with a crescent wrench also, tedious though. Lots of little turns

Comment

I did it with a huge crescent cause it was all that I had. As others said, it took forever and was a huge pain in the ass.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X