Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comsumer Alert: How to tell if Stainless Steel Brake Lines are DOT legal or not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm interested in peoples thoughts on these lines:
    BMW E30 Steel Braided Brake Line Kit -. This kit fits all E30's. DOT Approved - 6 Line Kit w/Coating -. Teflon-lined core covered in a stainless steel sheath, and all sealed together by an outer PVC lining.

Company: BMA
    Source: EBAY
    Lines: Have the black plastic DOT piece
    Price: $80.00 USD with Free shipping

They say "DOT Approved" but the price seems low. Is it too good to be true?
    sigpic

Comment

I bought mine from FCP Euro. $5 / corner. They match up with this OP. And they are stout. FCP has a lifetime warranty.
      ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

You mean you bought rubber outer sheath lines for $5 each, right?

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
          TechnaFit via FCPEuro

Did the same brand kit on the E38. Everything went smooth, have not crashed yet.
          If you prefer SS for all the race car purposes these E30s seem to fulfill routinely.

Or if you happen to just drive your car and don't need the bling factor, cool guy points the rubber type hydraulic lines do the trick.. just like they did for the 25 year old ones you are replacing.
          ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
            If you prefer SS for all the race car purposes these E30s seem to fulfill routinely.

Or if you happen to just drive your car and don't need the bling factor, cool guy points the rubber type hydraulic lines do the trick.. just like they did for the 25 year old ones you are replacing.
            I do fully agree, rubber lines are just fine, less expensive and offer no appreciable gain in most situations.

Although, it could be argued that SS lines actually add horsepower (initially) to your braking system, if you want to measure it like that.

Comment

Well, this is interesting. I guess that the lines I got from Pelican a few years were not DOT legal because when I was under my car today doing the rear suspension, I found that none of them have rubber boots, liners or DOT markings. Pelican still seems to sell the same ones and they say "DOT-Approved in the title". So, on the one hand they have been fine for a few years, but on the other hand this bugs the hell out of me! So, I guess that I will order up a new set of lines that have the proper approvals...since the rear subframe is out of the car, it will be a breeze to replace these.

Thanks for the info.

Where do people recommend getting SS lines from these days? Bimmerworld seems to sell legit ones now, as well as Turner and a few other places already mentioned.
              Last edited by bmwman91; 02-28-2016, 10:44 PM.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

I run UUC SS lines.

Sent from th
                sigpic
                1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
                I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

Working...
                X