Installing new e-brake cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing new e-brake cables

I hate to even ask about this because I'm sure it's something simple but I can't see how to install new e-brake cables. I had to cut the old ones out and then use vice grips and pliers to get the ends out of the tubes, no problem there. I just can't figure out how to get the cable back in, i tried sliding them in from back to front but the threaded portion doesn't fit in the tube, close but not quite. I can't see any way to disassemble the cable itself as everything looks crimped together. Any tips?
    $500, Diamantschwarz, and a Dream

It should slide up the tube. You have to take the nut off...

Did the end come out of the welded- on tube? Often they rust on, and the end looks just
    like a bit of the tube. Your old ones should have had end caps on both ends- I bet your
    end caps are still stuck to the tubes under the car.

hth

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Yeah, it was a pain to get the ends out because of how corroded they were but I'm nearly certain I got all the junk out of there. Perhaps I will snap a photo when I get home to illustrate the problem.

Comment

Ok, well here's what I'm dealing with, I ordered part #34-41-1-158-421-M4 from Pelican, pretty standard. I've never had this apart before so I'm not sure what it is supposed to look like. Is part of the old end still stuck? This is what the tube looks like:

Comment

Yes. That is the old barrel that is stuck in the metal tube, so you'll need to remove it. Soak it in some penetrant, and twist it free. Light hammering helps.

Originally posted by whysimon
          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

In case anyone wanted some closure I did get this fixed. All's well, ponies, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X