Rear rotor stuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear rotor stuck?

I searched and came to the conclusion that the rotor might be stuck on there really good. I feel like such a noob for posting this too, but I am not completely sure of what I am doing. I did a search but I don't know if those posts I read referred to the front or rear rotors. But mine look as if they are one with the hub, I cannot see the division between the rotor and the hub. Just wanted to make sure that I have everything off, before I go at my rotor with the hammer.

Btw, I am replacing my stock rear rotors with some Brembo blanks. 70k miles on my 325i, I wonder if these are stock rotors, because they are on there tight as hell. Like I said earlier, I am unable to see the line between the two parts.
    Claus Luthe is my hero.

Well, first off, check to make sure your parking brake is not on.
    Give the rotor a few good whacks with a hammer, but only after you make sure that they sent you the right rotors, as this will ruin it.
    The rotor should break free from the hub at this point, and either fall right off or stay stuck on the parking brake shoes.
    If they're still stuck, you'll have to adjust the ebrake shoes to loosen them up.
    Do you have a bentley?
    '91 318is
    sigpic

Comment

- release parking brake
      - remove set screw(PITA)
      - let it soak in some rust remover or somethin
      - Try and remove rotor
      - Get hammer, and hit on backside of rotor, rotating between blows
      - Should fall off.

Kyle
      1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
      DILLIGAF

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer8604
        - release parking brake
        - remove set screw(PITA)
        - let it soak in some rust remover or somethin
        - Try and remove rotor
        - Get hammer, and hit on backside of rotor, rotating between blows
        - Should fall off.

Kyle
        but I'll add a little trick I like; put one of the wheel bolts in a couple turns so when the rotor does come lose with the hammer it doesn't fly away...
        Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

Originally posted by AdamF 88iS
          but I'll add a little trick I like; put one of the wheel bolts in a couple turns so when the rotor does come lose with the hammer it doesn't fly away...
          Absolutely, I do the same thing.
          '91 318is
          sigpic

Comment

Excellent posts guys. I was lazy today and did not attempt it. But I will attack this job after work tomorrow.

I released the parking brake and removed the set screw. But, I do remember that in the E30 the parking brake had a slight issue. When I released it, it wouldn't release all the way until I pulled up on the lever a tad and dropped it again. But won't the parking brake only work if my caliper is still on it? I already removed the caliper. Anyways, Ill give it another shot.
            Claus Luthe is my hero.

Comment

no, the parking brake uses a drum inside the rotor, it's completely independent of the caliper and brake pads.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

update, rear rotors came off. i was just being a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles with the hammer.

new problem, front rotor set screw stripped

working on it now, thanks for all the help ppl!
                Claus Luthe is my hero.

Comment

Originally posted by silversleeper
                  update, rear rotors came off. i was just being a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles with the hammer.

new problem, front rotor set screw stripped

working on it now, thanks for all the help ppl!
                  Drill it out. The same thing happened to me. It'll take patience but you will be able to get that stripped one out ok.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Working...
                  X