all 4 brakes locking up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

all 4 brakes locking up...

I have a 1991 318is. This summer I swapped in an OBDI M52B28 with a 50k mile ZF trans. There are still some kinks to work out, but it's an awesome car so far.

The real reason I'm posting:

I'm having an interesting brake problem.

When I did my engine swap, I drilled new holes thus relocating the booster to the drivers side .5". All seemed well. I can drive on the highway long distance no problem. But. If I rip around town for say 30 mins (using the brakes more often than highway, obviously) ALL FOUR BRAKES LOCK UP. Brake pedal/clevis/pushrod seem to be adjusted correctly. I even threaded the pushrod further out than the manual suggests this morning. After around 30 mins of driving, I pulled into the driveway with all 4 brakes hung up. Brake booster doesn't seem to have any leaks, I tested by removing the vacuum hose on the front and plugging it, idles just the same. If you have any ideas... please share. I'll probably buy a master and booster from gunmetalgrey... but just in case anyone has a clue I figured I'd ask.

If more information is needed, I'm sure I can get it for you.

You saying they are sticking on?
    Originally posted by codyep3
    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
    2010 F650gs twin
    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Yep.

Comment

had the exact same problem. the booster rod is kicked too far to one side. Meaning its binding on the return. I learned my lesson with this. I would break down and snag a e21 or IX booster

Since the holes were slotted and the location on the pedal hasnt changed.
        sigpic

Comment

As far as i can tell that isn't it... Im not running the stock clevis, it also is made to be over .5"

Comment

alrighty
            sigpic

Comment

I appreciate it and ill still check it out next time i get a chance. Ideas are what i need and thats what you gave me. Thanks.

Comment

no prob man. hope you figure it out
                sigpic

Comment

I had this happen. Broke the booster. Check the input shaft, if you can pull it out its the booster.
                  CHEAP REBUILT INJECTORS

Need Quality Brakes? BimmerBrakes has it!
                  For anything Else go with BluntTech!

Comment

yeah, the master's not returning all the way to where the equalization ports
                    are open to the reservoir. For whatever reason...

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

More info on that input shaft?

Comment

New booster and master are in. Bleeding the brakes today. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Sorry to bump this semi-old thread, but I am having lock up issues as well. Also have a relocated booster with modified clevis.

It seems to only be my front brakes that lock up

Did you ever get the issue fixed?
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
                          1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
                          1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
                          1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

Working...
                          X