Removing rear hub from trailing arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing rear hub from trailing arm

I'm doing a rear wheel bearing job and I can't get the hub out. I've got the half shaft out and an appropriate sized socket on the inside trying to hammer the hub out. Spent the last hour with no progress so right now it'll soak in penetrating oil overnight. Are there any easy(ier) ways to remove it?

rent a hub separator.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

The right way to do this is with a Sir Tools B90 kit or equal, but it can be done on the car with a very heavy slide hammer and hub adapter. The hub has to be pulled off first to expose the snap ring that holds the bearing in. Once the hub is off the snap ring is removed and then the bearing pulled.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I rented this tool: http://s25.photobucket.com/user/m42s..._2417.jpg.html

that the guy used in the DIY but didn't think I'd need a separate tool for the hub. I can check if the store would have a hub separator but I don't think I saw one in the catalogue.

Comment

I rented this tool: http://s25.photobucket.com/user/m42s..._2417.jpg.html

that the guy used in the DIY but didn't think I'd need a separate tool for the hub. I can check if the store would have a hub separator but I don't think I saw one in the catalogue.

Comment

Hammer puller to get it out, super easy, and to press it back in was was successful with redi rod, two nuts and two blocks of metal with holes drilled through them.

Comment

Working...
            X