Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your opinion - before and after - m3 control arm bushings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your opinion - before and after - m3 control arm bushings?

I currently have 5km old solid centered e36 m3 style control arm bushings. All front parts were replaced, arms, sway links and bushes, st lowering springs wit shocks, alignment, front bearings, rear subframe mounts etc...

I'm in the hunt of restoring/improving steering feel of of my e30 with e36 rack, no ps, no fluid in the ps system.

What is you conclusion after switching from centered to offset m3 cabs?
    Would e30 m3 cabs help me with improving in line stability and restoring overall crispiness of e30 steering?
    Last edited by mr ilia; 06-26-2013, 07:47 AM.

The m3 bushings are offset the the way they are to add stability to the car while doing high speed turns such as in a DTM race. There should not be much if any noticeable benefit over the stock bushings in a car while it is being daily driven on the street.

^^ This is how it was explained to me when I asked the same question a while back.
    sigpic

Comment

I was able to find the information on the centered vs offset bushings and i also changed the title of the thread a little

Quote:
      Control arm bushings locate the rear leg of our control arm. The M3 had an offset suspension for a wider track so the bushing itself is offset. It is in fact a higher durometer (stiffer), rubber than stock (non-M, E30), yet still compliant unlike urethane. If you install it in the OE manner (arrow on bushing points to dot on casting), then it causes the ball joint (and spindle) to rotate forward and in. This results in a slightly longer wheelbase with an increased caster angle. both of these aid high speed stability and straight-line tractability. The detriment is the reduction of negative camber. If you have lower springs and have too much neg camber, this is a cheap way to correct it. BavAuto sells them for $48 each. If you do this, you will need to add some toe-out up front.
      If you have otherwise stock geometry, and you install this bushing 180 degrees out, it locates the wheel back some, giving less caster for quicker turn initiation, some might call it dartier. The wheelbase reduces a little, it's pretty imperceptibly though. It doesn't change camber much in this direction, but it does make it a little more negative, but not enough to worry about uneven tire wear. If you do this, you will need to give your tires some toe-in.

Comment

I recently replaced my front CABs with M3 offset ones and I notice a huge difference in body roll when turning in on corners, at least in the front. It could also be the fact that new control arms are in there too. But the car feels much more stable at highway speeds with the M3 CABS

Comment

Anyone install these reverse-style for autox and crisper turn-in?
          Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
          A Topless Memorandum

Comment

I'm bumping this thread, wondering if anyone has comments on the negative side effects of the M3 offset CAB?

I am slightly concerned about rubbing when turning, though I'm only lowered on ST springs so nothing crazy.

I have an E36 rack with power steering hooked up, so I wouldn't expect the increased steering effort to be major.

Anything else weird about running these?

Comment

You want to increase caster. More caster is always good as long as the alignment is correct. Look at supercars, sport cars, and commuter cars. The sportier the cars the more caster. More caster is usually always better.

Comment

Originally posted by butters View Post
                I'm bumping this thread, wondering if anyone has comments on the negative side effects of the M3 offset CAB?

I am slightly concerned about rubbing when turning, though I'm only lowered on ST springs so nothing crazy.

I have an E36 rack with power steering hooked up, so I wouldn't expect the increased steering effort to be major.

Anything else weird about running these?
                just thinking out loud but they may reduce wheel to guard clearance?
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

When I was ready to do the front end of my Zinno Cabrio I was undecided as to whether I wanted to go with solid e36 centered CABs or the M3 offsets. Since I had done full front ends on both my 84 318i coupe and my AWII Cabrio (both including e36 racks) I decided to drive them both, paying particular attention to the CABs (if thats possible).

I recall from when the AWII was my DD that there were times when I felt a bit too much understeer due to the car wanting to maintain its "straight line stability" so I was double checking that experience before doing the next car. I did stick with the offsets and am glad I did. Given that the AWII had a stock suspension whereas the other 2 are lowered, I would say that was the difference in me "noticing" the CABs then VS my experience now.

Keep in mind I did a total front end rebuild, new BS Sports, H&R Cabrio springs and am running on 205/50/16 Conti Extreme DWS's

My steering is totally neutral, it corners as well as anything Ive ever driven (including my 04 911 and my 74 Alfa GTV) and when the rear tires chirp I just give it more throttle :-)
                  Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                  Alice the Time Capsule
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                  87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Another benefit of offset bushings is it ADDS camber in turns, which our cars need.

RIP 02/25/15
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...16#post4356816

Comment

so glad i found this thread. i spent 45 minutes last night trying to figure out which bushing would suit me best. offset it is.
                      sigpic

Comment

When I replace my stock bushings with these offset M3 bushings what should I tell my alignment shop, re toe-in / toe-out? My car's lowered on Eibach/GC's and Koni's.
                        1991 318is, AWII, Eibach/GC, Koni
                        Riverside CA

Comment

Originally posted by diamonddonbmw View Post
                          When I replace my stock bushings with these offset M3 bushings what should I tell my alignment shop, re toe-in / toe-out? My car's lowered on Eibach/GC's and Koni's.
                          Since front toe is your only adjustment! I'd say nothing. If they don't realized what you did and know how to deal with it, find another shop.
                          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                          Alice the Time Capsule
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

It greatly increased straight line tracking on my iX. Even noticeable at slower speeds...
                            My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Working...
                            X