Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on steel break line and fuel lines..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on steel break line and fuel lines..

Are the steel break line and fuel feed/return lines the same type of pipe? I know they're different in size...need to replace mine they're rusted out...advance auto carries the lines, I would just need to bend them to fit the car...Thanks in advance.. also has anyone used the pipes from advance or any other local auto part store?

Sent from my Samsung Note 3
    '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
    '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

I used brake lines from AutoZone on my track car when deleting the ABS. No issues.

Comment

Originally posted by vpilarrt View Post
      I used brake lines from AutoZone on my track car when deleting the ABS. No issues.
      You used "break line" for "fuel line" they seemed to be the same type of pipe to me.. I just wanted some confirmation from someone else

Comment

yes "brake lines" are the same as "fuel lines" fuel lines are usually bigger though

Comment

OE fuel and the long brake lines are cheap and pre bent. Walk into your dealer and order them. I just did my M3 and its not worth the savings to buy generic.
          Order these and be done with it assuming youre a late e30 with ABS

We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
          www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

+1 on what Blunt said. I'm doing both the fuel lines and brake lines on my IS and IX currently.

Both types of BMW factory lines are steel.

For the fuel lines - I ordered all three (supply, return, vent) from the dealer. Make sure you add in some high pressure 8mm rubber fuel line and some clamps and brackets too. I didn't want to have to do this job ever again, so I replaced everything from the fuel pump forward on the supply side and everything at the front of the car on the return and vent lines. A fuel driven fire can be an ugly thing on a pretty car.

For the brake lines, you can order the correct length coated steel lines from the dealer, and they come with the fittings already installed. Try to remove the ones from the car as best you can as they make great templates for pre-bending the replacement lines. Also - get yourself a few proper bending tools - you don't want to kink these. I also touched up the paint anyplace it was nicked and replaced the rubber hoses at the same time. Don't forget to think about replacing some of the plastic clips and possibly the brass tee (I saved one, but the other was too far gone).

For the long brake line from the ABS to the rear of the car, I used "cunifer" brake line. It comes in bulk and you have to cut it to the proper length and flare it with the proper fittings, but it bends hella easier than the steel line. I like it a lot and could not imagine trying to put the bends in the long steel line to make that one work.

Good luck - replacing the brake lines are a beast of a job. I did my IS without dropping anything - but I'm planning on dropping the fuel tank (and maybe the rear subframe) on the IX for other reasons. That definitely helps the access.

The E30 collection:
            1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
            1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
            1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
            1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
            1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
            1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
            1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
            2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
            2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Originally posted by blunttech View Post
              OE fuel and the long brake lines are cheap and pre bent. Walk into your dealer and order them. I just did my M3 and its not worth the savings to buy generic.
              Order these and be done with it assuming youre a late e30 with ABS

I went in to my local dealership...they quoted me $50 for break line and $110 for fuel lines... these are for my '87 325e...that's way to much for lines...who else has them besides stealership?

Comment

Originally posted by 101 View Post
                +1 on what Blunt said. I'm doing both the fuel lines and brake lines on my IS and IX currently.

Both types of BMW factory lines are steel.

For the fuel lines - I ordered all three (supply, return, vent) from the dealer. Make sure you add in some high pressure 8mm rubber fuel line and some clamps and brackets too. I didn't want to have to do this job ever again, so I replaced everything from the fuel pump forward on the supply side and everything at the front of the car on the return and vent lines. A fuel driven fire can be an ugly thing on a pretty car.

For the brake lines, you can order the correct length coated steel lines from the dealer, and they come with the fittings already installed. Try to remove the ones from the car as best you can as they make great templates for pre-bending the replacement lines. Also - get yourself a few proper bending tools - you don't want to kink these. I also touched up the paint anyplace it was nicked and replaced the rubber hoses at the same time. Don't forget to think about replacing some of the plastic clips and possibly the brass tee (I saved one, but the other was too far gone).

For the long brake line from the ABS to the rear of the car, I used "cunifer" brake line. It comes in bulk and you have to cut it to the proper length and flare it with the proper fittings, but it bends hella easier than the steel line. I like it a lot and could not imagine trying to put the bends in the long steel line to make that one work.

Good luck - replacing the brake lines are a beast of a job. I did my IS without dropping anything - but I'm planning on dropping the fuel tank (and maybe the rear subframe) on the IX for other reasons. That definitely helps the access.
                The only portion that's bad on the fuel lines is from the fuel filter forward(6in section rusted out)and the break line that runs parallel with those fuel lines...these 3 need to be replaced

Comment

I reran the rear brake line (added a 'proportioning' valve to replace the non- functioning stock one)
                  and bending the pre- terminated generic steel line isn't that bad. The stock clips are good enough
                  that you can work the new line into shape pretty easily.

Took about four hours, including bleeding and testing. And my fingers were sore the next day.

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

[quote]I went in to my local dealership...they quoted me $50 for break line and $110 for fuel lines... these are for my '87 325e...that's way to much for lines...who else has them besides stealership? [quote]

That sounds like full retail price. My on-line BMW guy charges around $88 for the 5 rear brake hard lines and around $80 for the three long fuel metal lines. Not cheap, but you certainly won't ever have to do the job ever again.

The E30 collection:
                    1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
                    1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
                    1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
                    1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
                    1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
                    1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
                    1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
                    2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
                    2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

I sourced all lines from a parts car('87 325is) for $15...that's a win

Comment

I'm about to replace my vent and fuel lines. Looks like the OE vent hardline is alot more prone to rust. Pictured below you see the most rusted line haha. Is there a upgrade?
                        Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                        http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

The "upgrade" is to replace a 27yo steel line with a new one that will out last your ownership of the car

Most BMW dealers have at least 5 price levels starting with list plus plus. Point being it pays to be friends with your parts guy as they have plenty of discretion when it comes to what you pay.
                          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                          Alice the Time Capsule
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I know for sure in about 5-6years living in the salt belt its gonna rust again. Just an observation comparing my vert which i've driven for about 5-6 winters up north vs my 318 which as been spared the winters....Both cars were originally from tx until God knows why I decided live where my e30's would turn into rust buckets.

I was wondering if anyone has used these?
                            Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                            http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Then go with the conifer lines as suggested. They are a corrosion resistant alloy
                              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                              Alice the Time Capsule
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
                              X