Dropping rear subframe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropping rear subframe

I'm in the midst of swapping my rear end to disc brakes and redoing my bushings. Any ways I got all my shit disconnected and my subframe won't budge I've been prying at it for like an hour. I have the trailing arms in a compressed state so they don't bind the subframe drive shaft is out I've heated bushings up etc. Bitch still won't drop

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

I bet you're close man, hit those bushings with some more heat, they are pretty resistant even to direct flame.

You might be able to take the weight of the car, or a big sludge hammer to knock the subframe studs loose.

Comment

You can knock the subframe studs up into the cabin, that makes things much easier.
      88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
      We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

I did that and this bitch still won't go

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Sounds like the aluminum collars on the inside of the bushing are stuck in the car. You need to drill them out from the bottom up until the collar isnt attached to the bushing.

Feedback Thread

Comment

Heat those bushings for a good while, it takes a while for them to even start smoking, I probably take about 15-20 minutes with a propane torch to actually get they the bushing enough to actually break them apart (this depends on how worn they are). The aluminum sleeves will be stuck in the body of the car. Break them off with your favorite sledge, then drill them as shown in the picture and then you'll be able to chisel the piece out of the car by breaking it into 2 pieces

Have you made a purchase from www.blunttech.com recently?
              sigpic<< wrecked

Comment

Get a tap and thread a bolt into the sleeve. Then hammer down with the biggest slege from in the back seat.

I had the same issue, still did this and it still wouldn't budge. I let the rear subframe weight suspend from the corroded mounts- waited a few days and BOOM- popped out by itself from the weight of everything. Make sure you at least have something to catch the subframe if it does fall in the middle of the night
                555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                '95 BMW e34 525i
                '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
                '92 Range Rover Classic
                '90 Range Rover Classic
                '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
                '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
                '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
                '67 Pontiac LeMans
                '24 Model T Depot Hack
                ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

I got it just took lots of cussin kicking and screaming

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                    I got it just took lots of cussin kicking and screaming
                    I've heard that they like to drive you to the point of blowing your brains out, then they get tired and just fall off the car.

On my cabrio the bolts go in to an enclosed body cavity (puns allowed) so you have to pull the subframe with them in place. In my case I pushed the bolts up 3/4 of the way then ran a 5/8 tap in the bushing. Threaded rod and the business end of an Autozone slide hammer did it in 2minutes/sides.....but only after I had loaded the .38
                    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                    Alice the Time Capsule
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

"Get a tap and thread a bolt into the sleeve. Then hammer down with the biggest slege from in the back seat."
                      That is what worked for me. Couple good whacks and it dropped right out.

Comment

Originally posted by pshooter View Post
                        "Get a tap and thread a bolt into the sleeve. Then hammer down with the biggest slege from in the back seat."
                        That is what worked for me. Couple good whacks and it dropped right out.
                        You don't even need a tap. Just user a lag bolt with a tapered tip. It will cut it's own threads in the soft aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
                          You don't even need a tap. Just user a lag bolt with a tapered tip. It will cut it's own threads in the soft aluminum.
                          Yepp. That's how I got mine off.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                          Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Working...
                          X