Front Subframe Crack - options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Subframe Crack - options

This happened. It is the front subframe, you're looking at the engine mount separated from the front subframe because of the crack, this is under the exhaust manifold. The big nut is the control arm nut, hopefully that puts the picture into perspective. Is it worth welding it back in place + reinforcement plates, or rather putting a new subframe in? Thanks.
    Last edited by lolcantturn; 06-26-2015, 01:51 PM.
    Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

What is that?
    Can't tell what it is

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
      What is that?
      Can't tell what it is
      Updated the original post. The engine mount piece of the subframe is cracked off.
      Originally posted by TSI
      OEM+

Comment

Holey rusted metal, Batman!

(huh?)

The metal... it's rusty... and has holes in it. Holey.

Som
        Wouldn't reuse that subframe.

Comment

You would have less down time if you bought another subframe, reinforced it and swapped it in, but I can't see a reason not to reuse that one if that's what you wanna do. Just needs to be cleaned up first. Looks like it's been that way for a while and the unprotected steel has surface rusted. No big deal IMO.

Comment

It looks like I'm just going to replace the subframe. Doesn't seem too troubling once you have an engine brace. Time to soak the bolts in PB blaster now and keep driving the car until I swap subframes in two weeks time.

One question- Do I have to remove the steering rack from the steering shaft?
            Originally posted by TSI
            OEM+

Comment

Just get a new and or used none rusted subframe. That isn't worth repairing unless you are already setup for welding, and experienced with metal fabrication.
              1990 BMW 325is 5spd Black
              2005 Subaru Impreza 5spd
              2015 Yamaha FZ-07

Comment

You don't have to remove the rack from the shaft.

Depending on what you use the car for, consider reinforcing the engine mounts and the sway bar mounts.

Som

Comment

Working...
                X