brake rotor/pad recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake rotor/pad recommendations

I'll be doing a brake refresh (rotors, pads, fluid, lines, sensors) as the current ones are pretty worn.

I drive my e30 a couple times a week - commuting, running errands, but mostly spirited drives (hilly and twisty backroads), no track days. Some people recommend OEM, but there are so many OEM replacement pads out there..

I don't mind dust (as long as its not dustier than OEM). I'm hoping to get improved performance. Any recommendations on what pads to get?

For rotors, I'll be going for brembo/zimmerman blanks, nothing fancy.

Just saw a kit on catuned. Seems decent as it's OEM spec. Any thoughts? https://catuned.com/e30-oem-replacement-kit-front

Hawk HPS is great and I know a lot of users running set-ups like Brembo OE 'slicks' and Hawk HPS pads.

Which is what I run and love it. I have a stock m20 so my demands may be different.

If you had to get one over the other I would say get the HPS pads.
    20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Myself and a few others feel the exact opposite about Hawk HPS.
      I find they feel spongy and give very little braking confidence, however they don't dust and seem to last forever.

I would not recommend them for any form of spirited driving.

I've also run Hawk HP+, and while they bite like hell, they dust badly and squeal badly.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

^^
        He is a pro! Trust his input over mine!

I will try HP+ next!
        20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
          Myself and a few others feel the exact opposite about Hawk HPS.

I would not recommend them for any form of spirited driving.
          This.

HPS pads are fine until you think they're anything more than a street pad, and then their price premium over street pads makes them worthless.

BMWs are designed to be driven, so OEM pads are going to be fine. They dust a lot, but they bite arguably better than anything in their price range.
          Originally posted by kronus
          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Yes. The OE pads are much higher performing than HPS, they are just a lot more dusty. The OE pads 'bite' better at low temperatures and are more fade resistant at high temps. You can buy them cheaper as aftermarket OE (Textar and Jurid) replacements from places like ECS Tuning.
            Hawk makes such good track pads (HT and DTC series), that it is surprising the HPS pads don't work better.

Comment

Working...
            X