No announcement yet.

abs or no abs, wuts better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we are talking about 20 year old abs technology here on e30s.... does anybody have any technical data on it to compare to one on lets say an e36 or e46 ? (ie. how many times does it sample the data at each corner, how does it avarage it etc)...
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
      That's quite true, if incomplete. When you've completely lost it is time to go "both feet in".

Threshold braking is, by definition, exactly at the point that ABS is about to engage. While one can do threshold braking without ABS, having ABS means being able to get to threshold braking every time without risking locking up a wheel and flat-spotting a tire. With ABS you simply brake to the point that you feel the system engage and back off ever so slightly.
      That assumes that the ABS system is programmed for the traction limits of the specific tires and brake pads that you're using, and is working properly after exactly 0 maintainence in the last 20 years...

I will take mine with no ABS, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
        we are talking about 20 year old abs technology here on e30s.... does anybody have any technical data on it to compare to one on lets say an e36 or e46 ? (ie. how many times does it sample the data at each corner, how does it avarage it etc)...
        Bingo.

e36 ABS : e30 ABS :: DVD : _______

A) Beta
        B) 8mm
        C) VHS
        D) Laserdisk

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
          Bingo.

e36 ABS : e30 ABS :: DVD : _______

A) Beta
          B) 8mm
          C) VHS
          D) Laserdisk

so thats why we learned those in 1st grade...... to explain abs systems!

Comment

well the E30 ABS can't regulate the rear brakes independently, and the hydraulic pumps have improved quite a bit (faster pulsing). But I still think the basic system is sound and works fine. it's not like it just wears out..

of course maybe I'm a bit biased by my 5 sensor system. ;)
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Didn't BMW change (upgrade) ABS around 87 or 88 on the (or some) e30's? The relays on the ABS hydro unit changed and the silver relay has an additional pin and you need a T20 (wtf) instead of a flat screwdriver to get the cover off.

Comment

I personally like being able to lock em up and break the rear end loose even easier than it is to do now.
                sigpic

Comment

Can you trail brake effectively with ABS? Seems like it would get in the way on these cars.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                    That assumes that the ABS system is programmed for the traction limits of the specific tires and brake pads that you're using, and is working properly after exactly 0 maintainence in the last 20 years...

I will take mine with no ABS, please.
                    With ABS, you have option of turning it off. With no ABS there is no option.

The age of the ABS system shouldn't really come into play. That's one of the great things about digital computers. As long as the system can read the wheel pulses (and it throws a code if it can't), it makes the same calculation now that it did when the system was new.

The brake pads and tires don't matter much either. The system must handle different surfaces, so the traction difference of sticky vs. hard tires is handled just the same.

Modern ABS systems are definitely better, but the e30 system isn't bad.

Comment

ABS still uses solenoids to actuate the system. Meaning the calculation is the same but the mechanical aspect that operates the system may be more or less on its way out.

Comment

i definitely prefer to have ABS on my car. although, i'll add that i actually think the ABS on the e30 is quite good. it's definitely better than the ABS was in my '96 acura integra, and probably better than my mom's '01 jetta too.

how do you turn it off btw? might be fun sometimes to go without it.

Comment

Working...
                        X