Brake Kit - Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Kit - Recommendations?

Hey guys...I'm looking to overhaul the front/rear brakes of my E30 Cabrio. I'm not looking for anything crazy just want to replace the old rusted/worn parts with new parts (rotors and pads primarily). Any recommendations on which rotor/pad combos are good or have worked well for you? I'm looking at some of these options below. I only pasted links for the fronts to save space. Let me know what you think and/or recommend.

Never heard of these rotors before - ATE, Balo, Pilenga, and Zimmermann....reputable?
    https://www.bimmerworld.com/OEM-PLUS...E30-NON-M.html

ECS in-house rotors..are they reputable?
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...997ecs0103kt1/

Brembos are nice, but are they prone to squeeking?
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...4111160915kt1/

Add caliper kits and hoses to your list unless you know they have been done. I like Pagid pads for my daily drivers.

Comment

I've done this kit with great results: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...34111160915kt/

The pads are a little dusty, but have great initial bite and feel. They've survived a few track days as well with some high temp brake fluid. They aren't noisy, but some of that has to due with applying brake grease to the proper areas of the pad.

Comment

I currently have Pagid pads all around, Brembo front rotors and Durago rear rotors. I replaced my old brakes because the Hawk HPS are truly garbage pads. They lasted 8 years, but felt like sponges. When I removed them, they were only half worn. 100% would not recommend them on an E30.

I love the Pagid pads so far, I bought them from recommendations by a bunch of r3v'ers.
        They're like $30 per axle on rockauto, but because of how rockauto sucks, you have to mess around with different model years of e30 to find both front and rear...

Only reason I'm using Brembo rotors is that I bought them on clearance locally a few years ago.
        I went with Durago rears because of which warehouse Lots of people running the cheapest rear rotors around with no issues, Balo is one example.

If you want to buy from ECS, that Zimmerman+Pagid combo would be significantly better than the Hawk+Brembo combo. A lot of people swear by Zimmerman rotors.
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
          I've done this kit with great results: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...34111160915kt/

The pads are a little dusty, but have great initial bite and feel. They've survived a few track days as well with some high temp brake fluid. They aren't noisy, but some of that has to due with applying brake grease to the proper areas of the pad.
          Thank for the feedback!..super helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
            I currently have Pagid pads all around, Brembo front rotors and Durago rear rotors. I replaced my old brakes because the Hawk HPS are truly garbage pads. They lasted 8 years, but felt like sponges. When I removed them, they were only half worn. 100% would not recommend them on an E30.

I love the Pagid pads so far, I bought them from recommendations by a bunch of r3v'ers.
            They're like $30 per axle on rockauto, but because of how rockauto sucks, you have to mess around with different model years of e30 to find both front and rear...

Only reason I'm using Brembo rotors is that I bought them on clearance locally a few years ago.
            I went with Durago rears because of which warehouse Lots of people running the cheapest rear rotors around with no issues, Balo is one example.

If you want to buy from ECS, that Zimmerman+Pagid combo would be significantly better than the Hawk+Brembo combo. A lot of people swear by Zimmerman rotors.
            Thank you for your feedback and details of what you're running as well. Sounds like I'll be going with the Zimmerman/Pagid combo!
            Do your Brembos squeel at all?

Any thoughts on the Stoptech pads?

Comment

I don't have any squeal. The only complaint I've heard about brembos is that they rust more quickly than other brands. I don't have any other brands to compare them to, so I can't really comment.

I have stoptech sport pads in my Outback, and they feel better than stock, but that's pretty apples to oranges. I haven't heard many(any?) people running them on the E30

Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                I don't have any squeal. The only complaint I've heard about brembos is that they rust more quickly than other brands. I don't have any other brands to compare them to, so I can't really comment.

I have stoptech sport pads in my Outback, and they feel better than stock, but that's pretty apples to oranges. I haven't heard many(any?) people running them on the E30
                Ok..thanks again!

Comment

may be a little late but i thought i would toss in a cheap but very good kit. I got powerstop front and rear ceramic with drilled and slotted rotors. Stops on a dime and gives you change. Used powerstop on several cars now and never disappointed. I think i paid $80 for all 4 wheels with pads.

Comment

Working...
                  X