Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switching between Daily brake pads and Performance pads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching between Daily brake pads and Performance pads?

Can I run regular pads around town, and then for autocross/track events, can I switch over to performance pads, then back again? Do I have to re-bed each set each time I change them out?

Currently building a badass coffee table
    Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

It depends on the compound of the brakes. You will certainly want to run the same brand of pad for both street and race. For example, I know with Ferodo their street and race pads are able to be swapped without rebedding, however it depends on the particular model of pad you're running. Basically, the answer is yes, but you need to do some research on what you want to run.

Comment

IMO, just get another set of rotors for your pads and swap both. Especially considering that swapping rotors adds just a bit of time for all four corners vs just pads, and that you might get hot spots or weird wear on your track brakes, making them possibly iffy for street pads.

Marking what goes where will be important if you go that route.

Comment

I would run dedicated rotors for each set of pads. This will prevent odd rotor wear problems.

Comment

I've been switching standard BMW Jurid Pads and race pads without an issue for a while now - haven't really seen any issue with rotor wear. Maybe it does...but the hassle of carrying and switching discs as well is a big jump up from just changing pads. I've been using slotted Tarox E30 M3 discs (which MAY be helping as they deglaze the pads) and testing Pagid Yellows/Blues and Tarox Competition pads (E30 M3 brakes). I personally would just switch the pads and worst case is probably that you go through the discs a bit faster.
          JUNGL3

1990 "333i" Sport

Comment

I always switched pads a the track. If you're driving there (not trailering), you will want to make sure you still have brakes for the way home. I never had problems with bedding. However, rotors are pretty cheap for the E30.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

But are you guys re-bedding them after switching? It sounds like "no," and no problems arise from not doing it.
              So once in the beginning (new pads + new rotors) is enough?

Currently building a badass coffee table
              Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Not unless you count a warm-up lap or two.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                X