Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABS vs Non ABS Struts

Hello all
    Here is the story….I bought an 1989 325i convertible that is equipped with ABS that had welded coilovers installed (welded to the original spindle assembly) . The whole set up was cheap and incorrectly done. I am bringing this back to as stock as possible. So I got a pair of used strut housings without the hole for the abs sensor. Here is where my question comes in as I am a bit confused…I ordered front wheel/bearing assembly from fcp for my car after checking on realoem and naturally the hub came with the abs ring. If I want to keep the non abs struts can I just pop off the the abs ring off the hub and install…I dont care particularly on having abs to be honest but just need to know if I do this if it will cause any issues besides abs not working and abs light coming on.

thanks for all ur help. New here and trying to get this car fixed up for my sons 18th bday in Feb…

cheers

Originally posted by Mir250060 View Post
    Hello all
    Here is the story….I bought an 1989 325i convertible that is equipped with ABS that had welded coilovers installed (welded to the original spindle assembly) . The whole set up was cheap and incorrectly done. I am bringing this back to as stock as possible. So I got a pair of used strut housings without the hole for the abs sensor. Here is where my question comes in as I am a bit confused…I ordered front wheel/bearing assembly from fcp for my car after checking on realoem and naturally the hub came with the abs ring. If I want to keep the non abs struts can I just pop off the the abs ring off the hub and install…I dont care particularly on having abs to be honest but just need to know if I do this if it will cause any issues besides abs not working and abs light coming on.

thanks for all ur help. New here and trying to get this car fixed up for my sons 18th bday in Feb…

cheers
    you might not even have to remove the ring to make it fit. the car would have had abs original though. brake line routing changes if it was deleted, i would make sure it was done correct. you'll need to make sure the struts are the correct diameter for your car. there were two sizes, 45mm and 51mm. the 51mm where on the later car - post 88 - and had abs installed.

Comment

Ok thanks…I am only asking because once I press the bearing in I likely wont be able to remove it without damaging it. So need to be certain that I can install a abs bearing/hub on a strut assembly that does not have the hole for the abs sensor…that is all….thanks for helping me out so far

Comment

Ok thanks…I am only asking because once I press the bearing in I likely wont be able to remove it without damaging it. So need to be certain that I can install a abs bearing/hub on a strut assembly that does not have the hole for the abs sensor…that is all….thanks for helping me out so far
        i don't think parts suppliers send a different kind anymore

Comment

Ok thank you @82eye…can anyone confirm the part number on realoem for front wheel bearing and hub for their non abs car…if it matches the part number that bought then we are good to go. What should I do with the abs sensor? Tie it up snd leave it dangling ?

Comment

Ok thank you @82eye…can anyone confirm the part number on realoem for front wheel bearing and hub for their non abs car…if it matches the part number that bought then we are good to go. What should I do with the abs sensor? Tie it up snd leave it dangling ?
            if the car is equipped with working abs you'll need the system operational, and it will require the sensor installed. or do the full delete and re-routing of the brake lines. you'll have brake problems otherwise.

Comment

Ok so I truly doubt that a 30+ year old abs system is still operational. If I dont install the sensor what brake problems can I expect. Sorry for the noob questions but I am trying to not have to get new strut assemblies at this point…

Comment

If the sensor isn't present the only issue beyond an ABS system that cannot work will be a warning light.

Most ABS tone rings seem to be applied hot and shrink on to their mating surfaces. I know for sure that you can take a tone ring from an ABS axle and put it on to a non-ABS axle, haven't tried the same on a hub assembly. If you are up against it consider cutting the ring off or gently heating it and just gently tapping it off. Obviously, examine the part you have and see if that is feasible.

Comment

Ok so I truly doubt that a 30+ year old abs system is still operational. If I dont install the sensor what brake problems can I expect. Sorry for the noob questions but I am trying to not have to get new strut assemblies at this point…
                  For what it's worth I confirmed my ABS system was still functional by intentionally hitting the brakes stiffly in an unplowed, empty parking lot last winter while at lowwwwwwwwww speed and boy did it kick on. Easy way to test it, I think.
                  i'm in love with german cars // gliding past me on the autobahn

stainless idols with silent hearts // never turning as we drift apart

Comment

As a side note, if your ABS system is already non-functional.
                    You can unplug the entire ABS module under the dashboard to disable the ABS light.

Alternatively, unplug all of the wheel speed sensors so the module doesn't know the car is in motion.

ABS is nice to have, might save a set of tires from flat-spotting in a panic stop.

If you don't have ABS, I would definitely recommend practicing panic stops to learn threshold braking in various road conditions.
                    Roll your windows down and listen to the tires, you can get an idea of what they sound like as they start to slip before they lock completely.

Comment

Working...
                    X