No announcement yet.

The suspension setup/ride height thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would the 316i have the same springs/shocks as the 320i? Both big tails.

Comment

For those of you with ground control kits. How close to stock ride height can I get? I need to be able to get close to it for inspection purposes and wanted to know how high I can set the springs. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
        ok so i'm not happy with the cosmo coilovers, too stiff for the streets around here. and the rear adjusters are topped out but i still have too much neg camber. Winter is coming and I'll have to be driving this thing so a little extra height will be good.
        The rates on cosmos are 450lb/in 6" front, 560lb/in 5" rear.
        seeing as the stock 325is rates are 118/265 that's more like 1:2 ratio. So I have an idea..

Move the front spring to the rear. That gives me an extra inch and lowers the rate a little bit. Then buy a 200# 7" spring for the front.
        This should give me softer, taller ride and I only have to buy 1pr of springs.
        and 200/450 is actually really close to the 118/265 ratio.
        What do you guys think?

So I ended up doing this.
        Found 7" 250# spring from summit racing. Put those in the front, then moved the 6" 450# springs to the rear.
        So it's sitting slightly higher, which I wanted.
        Rear adjusters still topped out. Camber looks WAY better.. Before it was way too excessive. Now quite acceptable.

Still rides like it's on rails, but it's way less harsh. Actually somewhat compliant, doesn't feel like hitting a mid-turn bump will bounce me off the road.

This is the change I was looking for. I might still opt for softer shocks after this settles in but right now I'm happy with it.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
        If you ever sell that car, tell me first. I want to be the first to not be able to afford it.

Comment

Just lowered this guys 1991 325i last weekend
          Boge rubber top mounts
          billie sports shocks and HR sport springs. HR just changed the color of their sport springs.
          here is the result

YL7A5185 by Eric Berger, on Flickr
          YL7A5186 by Eric Berger, on Flickr
          YL7A5191 by Eric Berger, on Flickr
          Much wow
          I hate 4 doors

Comment

Hey guys so im deciding on either a H&r with Billy sports combo, or a GC/Koni adjustables. I'm using this setup for DD/some spirited driving. My plan is to get some Borbet Type A's 16x9 in the rear and 7.5 in the front. Also mine is an 88 325is
            I've tried searching but can't find the pictures for a similar combo as the pictures don't work :/
            So would a h&r/billys combo suffice enough for a no wheel gap look? Or should i consider going for the GC route?

thanks

Comment

My buddy is on hr/billys with 16s and he looks fine in terms of appearance. The ride is good as well and we do canyon runs together a lot, he is satisfied with them, but he wishes his car felt like mine. Now I have GC's full kit and my car is a good deal stiffer than his but the ride is still awesome with being able to adjust the firmness ( I DD'd my car for 2 years). Of course I can dial in my ride height and change it at anytime which is something you'll have to way out if it matters. If money isn't a big deal I'd get the GC's with some proper springs rates and call it a day.

Originally posted by blunttech
              Dude this is r3v. 20 bucks gets you a used timing belt or a low mileage head gasket

Comment

Originally posted by Winh View Post
                Hey guys so im deciding on either a H&r with Billy sports combo, or a GC/Koni adjustables. I'm using this setup for DD/some spirited driving. My plan is to get some Borbet Type A's 16x9 in the rear and 7.5 in the front. Also mine is an 88 325is
                I've tried searching but can't find the pictures for a similar combo as the pictures don't work :/
                So would a h&r/billys combo suffice enough for a no wheel gap look? Or should i consider going for the GC route?

thanks
                HR race should get u close to your wants....

to spend cash on coilovers just for a stance is kinda silly, but many do it.........but w/ coilovers youll get your desired stance and can still retain a compliant ride w/ proper sprg rates.....

HR race is a bit firm for a DD...but not omg.
                I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Originally posted by W1020 View Post
                  For those of you with ground control kits. How close to stock ride height can I get? I need to be able to get close to it for inspection purposes and wanted to know how high I can set the springs. Thanks.
                  as close as u want....just depends on your sprg length choices.....
                  I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Thanks for the input. Does anyone have pictures that are working with that setup? Billys/h&r race on 16's? Dony wish to purchase a set and realize that theres a fair bit of gap. I was thinking GC for the looks and possibly even winter for DD, so I dont become a snow plower lol

Comment

Mine is bilstein sport and H&R race with 205/50/16s. Check my sig for a nice side view or my build thread for more pics. I also think I posted it a page or two back here. I wish it was a bit lower but I think e90 drophats might get me where I want. Early model btw.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Rear arches for early and late models are different, yeah? So if mines is an 88 (of May) is it considered late or early lol. When i bought it from previous owner, it had late front valence on.
                        And Reichart do you know with e90 drophats, how big of an impact it would make?

Comment

88 should be considered late so your rear arches will be slightly lower than mine. From what Ive heard about e90 drophats its a claimed 15mm drop, its not much but its something. Theres a thread explaining all about them somewhere.

Comment

Gotcha thanks for the info, lastly do you have any spacers on? Offset?

Comment

No spacers, offset should be 25 I think. They were e30 fitment.

Comment

Lowtec 60/50 springs
                                GC caster/camber
                                Bilstein HDs

'91 318is turbo

Comment

Working...
                                X