Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

strut installation problem (front swaybar droplink)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strut installation problem (front swaybar droplink)

Alright, so I'm going through the strut/shock install on my car for the first time to put in bilstein sports and H&Rs...my shocks right now ride as if theres a 400 pound couple fucking in the back seat...not that they'd fit

anyways, removed the wheel, removed the caliber, took off the tie rod, and i got to taking off the front swaybar droplink...when I try to take off the 17mm bolt, it keeps spinning and spinning, and I look to see that also the nut as it seems is spinning too...now...I would do what I did with the brake calibers and hold it down with a wrench but theres some kind of rubber around the nut so I can't get a grip on it, what can I do about this or is the bolt fucked up??

Chapter 13, page 17 in the Bentleys doesn't elaborate much on the removal of this part. Don't worry though, there is an easy solution. That rubber boot you see, if you look really close to where area where the boot meets the bracket, you will see what initially appears as a round flange.....almost like a washer. If you twist the nut a partial turn and watch this area, you will see there are two flat edges. Use either a 16mm or 17mm open-end wrench and place it on this part. Then continue to unscrew the nut on the other side. It will come off.....I know, I've dealt with this too.

Good luck.

Jon
    Rides...
    1991 325i - sold :(
    2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

you can also place a jack under that bolt and lift enough just to put weight on it (enough that it will be immobile, not so much that it jeopardizes you under the car) and then undo the nut side.
      My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerphile
        you can also place a jack under that bolt and lift enough just to put weight on it (enough that it will be immobile, not so much that it jeopardizes you under the car) and then undo the nut side.
        Works for me every time.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Working...
        X