Uneven ride height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Philo View Post
    Those aren't going to account for the uneven height.

I'm betting that something is bent due to a previous accident. Have you verified that the dampers are still in good working order?
    To be honest, they look like the original dampers. My car has 270,000 miles.

I lifted the car, from the center of the rotor to the fender, one side is .5cm longer than the other. That kinda isn't translating to how uneven the ride height looks in the photo though.
    Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

Comment

Replace your trailing arm bushings

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Come on Luke. Don't turn the tech forum into a place where we just tell people to replace random items, especially without providing reason.

From the sound of it, the OP doesn't seem to have a full understanding of suspension components. I'd take the car to a local BMW shop, and have them look the car over. Most places will do it for around $50.
        -tim
        Originally posted by Jordan
        I like the stance
        -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

so is it the front or the rear [left] that sags? or the whole left side?

I also think it might be a blown shock.......
          Driving:1990 325iS, 2007 335i :devil:
          past BMWs: 1987 325iS turbo, 1989 325i, 1995 525i, 2000 328CI, 2001 540i, 2008 135i

Comment

Originally posted by Philo View Post
            Come on Luke. Don't turn the tech forum into a place where we just tell people to replace random items, especially without providing reason.

From the sound of it, the OP doesn't seem to have a full understanding of suspension components. I'd take the car to a local BMW shop, and have them look the car over. Most places will do it for around $50.
            OK, so here is the deal: the rubber of the TABs wears out long before we get these cars...and then we lower them.

When you first drop the car, the bushings are now "resting" on "newer" rubber and have some added strength due to that newer "contact patch". After you mob around for a few weeks/months/years, that old ass rubber deforms again, only it is WAY worse than before as now you have the new area all mushed out PLUS the area that was worn out before you lowered the car...making sense now?

This issue is also made worse by geometry. I am sure one of you fucking whiz-bang college guys could spend all of .2mS to figure out the actual numbers but the reality is that 1mm of deflection in the bushing is gonna be about 20mm of movement at the axle. Duh, right? With all the obvious geometry changes it only makes sense.

So...the other thing is how much a decent set of urethane TABs change your E30. The ass end becomes about 100X more stable, especially in the wet.

The other advantage is a HUGE improvement in tire wear...but that is another topic, isn't it?

So, all of the above is reflected by what happened in my own car: when I changed the TABs, my car went from a clear right tilt down (measured about 1.25" different IIRC) back to 100% normal.

So, there ya go, a goddamn explanation. Your 22 year old rubber is shot, whooda thunk?

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
              OK, so here is the deal: the rubber of the TABs wears out long before we get these cars...and then we lower them.

When you first drop the car, the bushings are now "resting" on "newer" rubber and have some added strength due to that newer "contact patch". After you mob around for a few weeks/months/years, that old ass rubber deforms again, only it is WAY worse than before as now you have the new area all mushed out PLUS the area that was worn out before you lowered the car...making sense now?

This issue is also made worse by geometry. I am sure one of you fucking whiz-bang college guys could spend all of .2mS to figure out the actual numbers but the reality is that 1mm of deflection in the bushing is gonna be about 20mm of movement at the axle. Duh, right? With all the obvious geometry changes it only makes sense.

So...the other thing is how much a decent set of urethane TABs change your E30. The ass end becomes about 100X more stable, especially in the wet.

The other advantage is a HUGE improvement in tire wear...but that is another topic, isn't it?

So, all of the above is reflected by what happened in my own car: when I changed the TABs, my car went from a clear right tilt down (measured about 1.25" different IIRC) back to 100% normal.

So, there ya go, a goddamn explanation. Your 22 year old rubber is shot, whooda thunk?
              Fair enough. I can do TAB's by myself right? How long should it take?
              Originally posted by TSI
              OEM+

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Luke. Now many can come back to this thread and read the explanation for your diagnosis. I just hate it when a board just tells people to replace items without reasoning, and is the main reason I can never find solid info on E36 sites.
                -tim
                Originally posted by Jordan
                I like the stance
                -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

Im assuming I should replace my TABs when I change my springs n struts then?

Comment

Originally posted by CabbE30 View Post
                    Im assuming I should replace my TABs when I change my springs n struts then?
                    if you dont know when it was done last you should do it anyway.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                    i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                    Originally posted by slammin.e28
                    Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Soft, cheap springs + years of having a driver sit on one side = sag.

Comment

Let me make this perfectly clear: changing TABs is a FUCKING BITCH to do. Took me 3 hours on a lift with every tool you could dream of.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                          Let me make this perfectly clear: changing TABs is a FUCKING BITCH to do. Took me 3 hours on a lift with every tool you could dream of.
                          ..........................I guess i'll have to ignore my uneven ride height then..
                          Originally posted by TSI
                          OEM+

Comment

Find some poor fool to do it for $150. As tough as times are, you will be able to.

Closing SOON!

Comment

if you were in california i would totally do it for $150 lol

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                              i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                              Originally posted by slammin.e28
                              Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

F that! Is the majority of the work just taking the bushing out?

I'm getting Bilstein HDs because my car is way overdue for shocks...that may or may not fix my uneven ride height, but it will fix my spine when I go over the smallest of cracks :)
                                Originally posted by TSI
                                OEM+

Comment

Working...
                                X