E46 330 rack into E30

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SD-KC
    replied
    I did things out of order and want to check something with my install. Does anyone have the length measurements from the tie rod end to the steering rack boot for the passenger and driver’s side?

    sorry to dredge up an old post, I wanted to keep these details contained in this thread.

    Leave a comment:


  • shoshottz
    replied
    no one ever mentioned that you need hexnut and clamprings!



    theres a contribution to the hreatest e46 rackswap thread of alltime!

    lol that helps some one


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

    Leave a comment:


  • citizen_insane
    replied
    I added a lock nut. I wouldn't risk not running some kind of locking feature. You will need to do a full alignment after installation. I suggest using toe plates like these (or make your own).

    Leave a comment:


  • shoshottz
    replied
    Originally posted by shoshottz
    ok so i have
    e46 zf rack with e46 inner rods
    i also have e36 outers, do i need anything other than loctite for the outer rods?

    ie locking nut or washer?
    just measure the old full rack and match up that simple?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


    bump...plz help


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

    Leave a comment:


  • shoshottz
    replied
    ok so i have
    e46 zf rack with e46 inner rods
    i also have e36 outers, do i need anything other than loctite for the outer rods?

    ie locking nut or washer?
    just measure the old full rack and match up that simple?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

    Leave a comment:


  • shoshottz
    replied
    thank god


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

    Leave a comment:


  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by shoshottz
    after rack swap did u guys use atf or chf11s?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I used ATF

    I don't see any reason to use CHF11S unless you're wiping your ass with 20 dollar bills

    Leave a comment:


  • shoshottz
    replied
    after rack swap did u guys use atf or chf11s?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

    Leave a comment:


  • trulra
    replied
    Purple tag 330I E46 rack in E30 320I Touring

    Just to make things easy for those of you thinking about swapping an E46 rack in your E30 facelift, i'm going to share my experience:

    First of all, i live in Norway (EU-cars). My rack came from a BMW E46 330i touring which had the infamous purple tag, and part number 7852 974 678. The rack has 3.0 turns lock to lock, and is labeled ZF (not ZHP). The car i swapped it in was my E30 320i Touring produced late 1988, LHD, non airbag, with PS (power steering).

    It was fairly straight forward. You'll definitely need a dremel though. There's definitely no need for the kits sold on eBay and other places to perform this swap if you have access to basic hardware. I removed my existing rack as all guides describes, bending the tabs etc., no problems.


    Steering linkage and knuckles:
    I went ahead an drilled out the rubber gouibo to shorten the rack. To bolt them together (equal size holes on both ends) i used 2 pcs. M8x30mm bolts, with 6 washers and 2 self locking nuts. Easy peasy.
    I was a bit worried beforehand about where to file the knuckles to avoid binding, but this turned out to be as self explanatory as can be. If you know how to change your oil, this will need no guide...
    So that's all there is to the linkage. everything went back together good afterwards.


    Insertion of the rack it self:
    I used 2 regular nuts, M10 which i locked in a wrench and drilled out with a 10mm, so they would act as washers, not threaded nuts. They weren't 14mm tall as the guides describe, probably around 9mm, but this worked fine, and was plenty as the last 4-5mm was just the tabs compressing a little to compensate.
    That's that.


    PS lines:
    I didn't need to do anything to the lines, other than maybe reverse one of them, but to be honest, this was also self explanatory. I didn't remember how they were placed originally when i put the pieces together, but they only really did fit one way. You'll figure!
    Only thing to remember is to order lots of crusher washers for the PS lines, as these are one time use only, and is a pain to replace afterwards due to tight space. Don't know the exact size of those, sorry.


    Tie rod ends:
    Used regular E36 tie rod ends, which worked wonders.


    That's all. A total of 5-6 hours work, with 2 of them being to fight the old tie rods off. I needed lots of heat and penetrant to get them moving.


    Hope this fast guide will come handy to those of you struggling to find info on E46 swap.

    :thankyou:

    Leave a comment:


  • shoshottz
    replied
    i have a 1987 325i convertible non airbag steering wheel, getting ready to do the swap to an e46 rack. should i have any concerns?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

    Leave a comment:


  • boxy30
    replied
    It's been awhile but I'm pretty certain I installed with the E46 banjo w/ check valve. I haven't run into any issues either for the past 8-9 months using it that way.

    Leave a comment:


  • BaltimoreBimmer
    replied
    Rich never responded to my inquiry regarding the check valve. I've had my e46 rack running in the e30 for almost a year now with no problems. Really enjoying the smaller lock to lock turning.

    Leave a comment:


  • Staszek
    replied
    Originally posted by Ryen Miller
    i took me blown out e30 rack . about to put in the e46 zhp rack. i also noticed the check valve in the e46 banjo bolt, what did you guys end up running the e30 banjo with nothing or the e46 banjo? im not sure which i should run
    In for this, I just ordered a ZHP rack for my E30.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ryen Miller
    replied
    i took me blown out e30 rack . about to put in the e46 zhp rack. i also noticed the check valve in the e46 banjo bolt, what did you guys end up running the e30 banjo with nothing or the e46 banjo? im not sure which i should run

    Leave a comment:


  • bousinou
    replied
    E46 rack in e30

    Hello all,

    Question: I purchased a 2004 330 rack to swap into my late airbag e30 vert and also purchased new lemforder e36 tie rod ends. The ends however seem to be too small for the e46 inner rods, they don't fit. Am I missing something here?

    Thanks!
    J

    Leave a comment:

Working...