The rack must place the tie-rod at the correct angle to the knuckle. A custom subframe that positions the rack downward will have the same consequence as placing the spacer on top of the rack - it will still be in the wrong position and result in bump steer.
There is one simple resolution which is to modify the fire-wall.
If you're hell-bent against cutting the fire-wall (i hear you), there are other options but they aren't cheap and there are trade-offs.
1. Install bumpsteer kit (expensive/may require professional setup)
2. Custom steering shaft linkage. Some folks have reported that competition racks have a slightly different pivot location and do provide the correct clearance. Vorshlag makes one for an e36 that I believe should work but you're gonna want to do your homework. Aside from being very expensive, you lose the rubber bush in the stock rack which does a lot to remove unwanted vibration from the steering wheel. Folks who say this bushing dulls steering either have a worn linkage or they're actually racing. If you want a comfy road car, keep the donut.
Many of us have been through this and ended up in the same place. Keep the stock linkage, cut the fire-wall. Seal the raw edge with bodysealent/por-15/whatever and enjoy your sweet new rack.
E46 330 rack into E30
Collapse
X
-
Sounds like he is saying you are going to need to modify the firewall.Leave a comment:
-
Ok I am having a new subframe from ARC made due to my S54 so I wont need spacers because he is building it to accommodate the new Rack. So you are saying I will have that issue?I did this modication last year - went with a purple tag/678 rack with which i'm completely happy. You can install the rack with all spacers under the rack and not have to modify the firewall but this will yield significant bump steer which can be dangerous. I'm fairly certain that this is accurate for all e46 (and e36) racks, ZHP or not. You could resolve this with a tie rod modification kit but that is expensive and you might need to increase wheel size.
The tried and true method is to install bushings above the rack and carefully modify the firewall.
Check out this thread by Benz-tech on bump steer.Leave a comment:
-
firewall modification, depends...
I did this modication last year - went with a purple tag/678 rack with which i'm completely happy. You can install the rack with all spacers under the rack and not have to modify the firewall but this will yield significant bump steer which can be dangerous. I'm fairly certain that this is accurate for all e46 (and e36) racks, ZHP or not. You could resolve this with a tie rod modification kit but that is expensive and you might need to increase wheel size.
The tried and true method is to install bushings above the rack and carefully modify the firewall.
Check out this thread by Benz-tech on bump steer.Last edited by noahsense; 04-25-2017, 11:57 AM.Leave a comment:
-
E46 330 rack into E30
For ZHP I believe you are right and there is no need for modification. If not mistaken, it's because the pinion is at a different angle. My standard E46 M3 (green tag) rack did require firewall modification, I have a 91' vert. Used E46 inners + E36 Outer rods as well.
I've had mine almost 18 months and love it!Leave a comment:
-
Hmm. I don't own that car anymore so I can't remember what I did. Oh well lol. I'll make sure on this car that I use E46 inners with E36 outers.Leave a comment:
-
I was wondering which outers to use. I was going to go with the E36 but its only a bit more to go E46ZHP from Rack Doctor. Since I had an E46 and loved the steering on it I think I will go that direction.Unless you modified the inner e30 tie rods you could trouble down the road and cause your rack to fail prematurely. The E46 inner tie rods are vented and allow air pressure to equalize pressure in the boots when turning via the inner tie rods via the vent slot.
E30/E36 racks do this via a tube from one side of the rack to the other.
This thread has some good information on it.
Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.
When I bought my ZHP rack from the Rack Dr., he sent it with E46 inners and E36 outers. Guten, installed it, so not sure about the firewall modification.Leave a comment:
-
Unless you modified the inner e30 tie rods you could trouble down the road and cause your rack to fail prematurely. The E46 inner tie rods are vented and allow air pressure to equalize pressure in the boots when turning via the inner tie rods via the vent slot.
E30/E36 racks do this via a tube from one side of the rack to the other.
This thread has some good information on it.
Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.
When I bought my ZHP rack from the Rack Dr., he sent it with E46 inners and E36 (might have been e46???) outers. Guten, installed it, so not sure about the firewall modification.
Edit: It might have been E46 outers as well, not E36Last edited by Zeemz; 06-13-2017, 08:49 AM.Leave a comment:
-
I used E30 inner and outer tie rods on an E46 ZHP steering rack. I didn't do power steering so I don't know about the lines, hoses or pump. I did not modify the steering coupler or the firewall.This is good news, but I'm curious: you're saying apart from tie rods (which others have said is e36 outer, E46 inner) there is nothing else to be done? No modification to the steering coupler? No modifications to the existing low pressure or high pressure hoses? The E46 rack will use the stock e30 ps pump no problem?
Going to be doing a relatively inclusive overhaul shortly, possibly involving a new pump, rack, reservoir, and all hoses. So want to make sure I do what's best.Leave a comment:
-
-
This is good news, but I'm curious: you're saying apart from tie rods (which others have said is e36 outer, E46 inner) there is nothing else to be done? No modification to the steering coupler? No modifications to the existing low pressure or high pressure hoses? The E46 rack will use the stock e30 ps pump no problem?
Going to be doing a relatively inclusive overhaul shortly, possibly involving a new pump, rack, reservoir, and all hoses. So want to make sure I do what's best.Leave a comment:
-
So this is the first thread I have seen two people say you dont need to modify the firewall for an E46 rack on an airbag car. I am going with the ZHP rack, love to confirm this.Leave a comment:
-
I didnt see it mentioned, but on an e46 rack you should use the e46 inner tie rods with the e36 outer tie rods. If you want to use e30 parts, the e30 inner can be modified to work. This is for the internal air passageway in the e46 rack. e30 and e36 are external.Leave a comment:
-
I have installed an E46 rack and it was a direct bolt in affair once you swapped the tie rods.Leave a comment:
-
If you have an airbag steering wheel (or if the car had one originally), it will need to have the firewall modified. The steering knuckle can be reused.Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: