Eibach vs. H&R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eibach vs. H&R

sports seem to be the the main rivals for e30 owner's on a budget. My question is addressed to those who have tried both. Which did you like best for:

1.Handling
    2.Comfort
    3.drop look

I want a drop that the fender would be about the height of the top of the wheel in front. I am DD it but I like a firm, sporty feel. I want it to handle like a dream. Maybe cut body roll, a LOT from stock. Any one tried the H&R race?

Thanks for any advice on which to get! (For a 1991 318is)

PS: they would be coupled with bilstein sport shocks

I haven't tried the Eibachs, but I have tried the H&R Sports and H&R Races. In my opinion, the sports are good for nothing more than daily driving. I wouldn't even call them good for spiritual driving. I then got Races and found it much better. Handing and drop look increased dramatically, but comfort decreases slightly (To me thats nothing though, I now have coilovers.)

Personally if you even think of wanting to track the car, stay away from sports. I do not have any info on the Eibachs though, sorry.

Always had Bilstein sports. Now koni. I will get pics for you as well.

G.Verelli

Comment

The first picture is H&R Sport. The second picture is with Races. Not going to lie, but when I installed the Races, I also put better tires and as a result I did have to change some of routes to better roads because we all know how the roads are in Montreal :down:

G.Verelli

Comment

Cool! So you didn't like the H&R sports? I rod in a ix with them and thought it was good, but then again if you are saying that maybe i've never rod in really good setup! Can't wait for your pics. Did you daily your car?

Comment

I would like to still have a spine at the end of the year =p. Now I need a review on the eibachs! hehe, yeah montreal roads ftw! do you hit the ground sometimes?

Comment

Originally posted by e30BMart View Post
            Cool! So you didn't like the H&R sports? I rod in a ix with them and thought it was good, but then again if you are saying that maybe i've never rod in really good setup! Can't wait for your pics. Did you daily your car?
            Ya I daily drive it to school and work (Not winter), you said you do not mind a bit of stiffness, I would go with the Races, there is nothing special about the sports and I personally would never recommend them for other than daily driving ONLY! My winter car feels stiffer stock than the sports

It is really up to you. If you even have the thought of wanted to track it then go for the Races, if you know for a fact you will never want to track it then try out the sports and if you feel you want more then sell them and buy races. You can find the sport springs for pretty cheap second hand on the forums.

My friend has a 4dr 318 and got the Races, he already regrets it and wants to buy coilovers now...

G.Verelli

Comment

Originally posted by e30BMart View Post
              I would like to still have a spine at the end of the year =p. Now I need a review on the eibachs! hehe, yeah montreal roads ftw! do you hit the ground sometimes?
              Never scraped once with the races, not even with the IS lip and splitter...

G.Verelli

Comment

Eibachs are junk. Plain and simple. But I've got a set I'd sell you for very cheap if you'd like to find out for yourself.
                2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

how much cheap? and why does your friend regret the races? why are coilovers better and last but not least, I'm driving it in the winter.

Comment

I havent tried both, but I had the H&R race springs on my e46 and I loved it. Stayed flat in the corners and rode pretty nice for race springs. If you want a firm and sporty feel, then races are good. I remember people on the e46 forums saying that both were good, but H&R gave the car more of a raked look (when the front is lower than the rear) However, this could be just e46 specific.

Bottom line, If I were to choose springs they would be from H&R. But either brand is good and it really boils down to price
                    ^M52B28^

Comment

Cornering grip / excellent handling are both very high priorities on my car and I have H&R sports. Why not H&R race then?
                      1) Driving enjoyment to me is feeling connected without feeling uncomfortable. Driving a car with a big camshaft, solid engine mounts, poly bushings, and stiff suspension gets old quickly (unless you only drive on the track and never have speed bumps and stoplights to worry about)
                      2) Going too low has many obvious downfalls, susp. geometry + oil pan clearance being two biggies. These are not as much of an issue with sports.
                      3) Softer springs + thicker adjustable sway bars = all the flatness and roll stiffness you could ask for while keeping a decent ride
                      4) Stiffer springs cause for more abrupt weight transfer to the front and rear wheels which gives you that much time to correct mistakes.

Tire width and compound have the greatest impact on overall grip. Spring and sway bar combinations impact overall balance and tendancy to understeer/oversteer more than they do cornering grip. One of the big ways that springs CAN help with handling is when the road is bumpy. On a bumpy road you want a higher spring (and damper) rate which will help keep the tire in contact with the road BUT if the spring is too short (extra low lowering springs) you have reduced suspension travel and will be more prone to losing contact with the road.

With all that said. I am very happy with my H&R sports. The ride comfort was right on the line of being too harsh when the springs were brand new (for the first 100 miles or so) but once things settled they leave me wishing they were a tad stiffer.
                      Last edited by Sagaris; 03-02-2011, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Sounds to me like H&R is the way to go, I've only read good stuff about them. If OP doesnt follow up on those cheap Eibachs then I'd be interested. Even if they were crap they'd still be a hell of a lot better than the broken down stock stuff under me now.
                        West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
                        ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

Comment

Bump. We need reviews on eibachs! Sorry for my late reply. We got good info going on here!

Comment

Eibachs suck monkey balls. They're softer then stock and super low so if you want a soft, VW ride and have a lot of money for spare oil pans they're definitely the way to go.
                            '89 325is S50 Track Montser
                            '04 X5 Daily/Tow Vehicle

http://www.avarestoration.com

http://www.myspace.com/brendanfiddle

Click here if you want to be my zombie slave...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fidhle007

Comment

Originally posted by Fidhle007 View Post
                              Eibachs suck monkey balls. They're softer then stock and super low so if you want a soft, VW ride and have a lot of money for spare oil pans they're definitely the way to go.
                              Tell us how you really feel!
                              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X