Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front urethane swaybar bushings....??

IMPOOOOOOOOOOOOSSIBLE! Hooooooly shit!
    Is there any trick to it? I dont know how to explain it but its almost as if the bushing isnt all the way into the bracket. Ive cleaned the inside of the brackets out, stood on it, and even clamped on them with a c clamp till it started flexing like crazy and if I compressed it anymore it wouldnt help anyway.
    When I put them on the car and tried to slide the leading edge into the slot, the tab wont go in all the way and the leading corner of the bushing is against the subframe (why it SEEMS, but couldnt be, like it isnt all the way in the bracket) not allowing the tab to go all the way in, and the rear where the bolt goes through anywheres near close enough to wrestle it to get the bolt in.
    Im not even going to bother typing out a list of stuff Ive tried, but installing the old rubber bushings its not an option. Different bar.

You need to bring it to a shop and have it pressed on.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

or take a sledgehammer...

Comment

I sort of got it half way last night, after work today I'll try to finish. What I did was have my dad use a pry bar against that loop in the frame pushing forward (in) on the bracket for it to have the tab most of the way into the slot. Meanwhile, I had a slightly longer bolt, ran that through the holes, and cranked it down till there was mass resistance, the distance was short enough the stock bolt would reach through and it would hold the bracket in its forward position where it should be without the bar. The bump in the subframe that is supposed to key together with part of the bushing is digging into the bushing just off from where it should be...maybe cranking it down all the way will pop it into place. Its right on the edge. To get the real hardware in I was thinking put the jack under the bracket and push up to keep pressure on it so it still wont move. Or, however less likely to be successful, vise grips on the flat parts of the sub and bracket to hold it while removing and replacing the bolts, but it would have to be far enough away to not interfere with the bolt head and nut. We'll see...

Comment

Justin, I have not yet installed urethane bushings on a bimmer, but, many MANY on domestic cars and trucks.

From what you are describing, you have either the wrong clamp, too small a bushing or some other fitment issue.

They hold the bar firmly, but not crushing it!

GL,HTH,
          Luke

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
            You need to bring it to a shop and have it pressed on.
            car cant roll in present condition :P

it's not one of the press-in/out bushings, it's the sway bar bushing....

went over to see his car today, seems like the bushing might be a bad casting or they sent the wrong one in the kit. apparently it's so tight he can't turn the bar by hand... even with the bushings lubed up.

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
            HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
            **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

Theyre obviously in now, and I'll see what I can do contacting eibach or something to see if something was up with them. Theyre just way too damn stiff. Doesnt seem right. I wasnt gonna ask to disconnect your front bar and see if yours could be pushed around by hand ;P It definately moves with the car though, but then again since I installed them I dunno if the arms will droop if i raise the front end LOL :shock: Just thought of that now.. Probably I guess from the springs, but still....

Comment

I think IE can make you a set for any size sway bar.. I'd call them up. that doesn't sound right.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
                  I think IE can make you a set for any size sway bar.. I'd call them up. that doesn't sound right.
                  good idea, if eibach cant help first. IE has always given me (and people I have helped) good service.

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
                  HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
                  **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

Working...
                  X