Eliminating sway bar preload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eliminating sway bar preload

Hey guys I was wondering what you guys do for correcting sway par placement on lowered cars. With the stock links the sway bar is no where near flat, its almost at a 45 degree angle because of how low my car sits. Do you guys know any tips or tricks to bring the swaybar down making it more flat?

Are any of the aftermarket adjustable sway bars endlink shorter than the stock ones?

Do aftermarket sways mount lower? Therefore making the bar flatter?

I am running the stock sway bar pickup off the control arm.

If anyone can help id appreciate it.

solution

Adjustable sway bar links.

1987 BMW 325i (daily) (LS1/T56 swap complete!)

Comment

What you describe isn't pre-load. Pre-load is when bar is under tension with the car sitting on a level surface and occurs when one side is shorter than the other. That is most commonly encountered with improperly adjusted after market links.

I don't know of anything shorter than the OE front links, but when using an aftermarket sway in the rear the adjustables are shorter than OE links.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thanks for your 2 cents. Does anyone else know if there is any shorter than stock endlinks for sale?

Comment

You can make adjustable ones out of a catalouge that sell race car parts.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by e30 gangsta View Post
            Thanks for your 2 cents. Does anyone else know if there is any shorter than stock endlinks for sale?
            why do you want shorter endlinks? unless something is binding I don't see the point. Even if you had adjustable endlinks shortening them both won't do you any good. Adjustable endlinks are designed to neutralize left/right steering if the bar is pre-loaded.

I hate to say it, but I think you need to do some reading before you buy parts.
            '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
            NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
            Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

^^^What he said.

The angle of the bar has nothing to do with how it is loaded, assuming each side is loaded the same amount. There is no tension with the car sitting flat/level.

Comment

Working...
              X