Clunking Front End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clunking Front End

Within the past few months I have replaced front control arms, ca bushings, shocks, and shock mounts. Yet I still have this hardcore metal on metal sounding rattle/ clunk coming from my front left corner. I was convinced it was the shocks but I just replaced those and the mounts last weekend, and the sound is still there. The car is on cut H&R sports (one coil was cut) so part of me thinks it might be those.. but only the left passenger side makes the noise. What else could be causing it? Tie Rods? I don't know much about suspension so please forgive my ignorance, just help me fix this so I don't go nuts.
    Thanks

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Check the sway bar bushings and links and have a good look for loose fasteners or parts.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I just changed my oil pan gasket and noticed my passenger side rubber engine mount was split at the top, the metal left the rubber. Also could it be a strut?
      GL
      Barry

Comment

Originally posted by barry View Post
        I just changed my oil pan gasket and noticed my passenger side rubber engine mount was split at the top, the metal left the rubber. Also could it be a strut?
        GL
        Barry
        You need to replace the motor mounts, and I'll bet the transmission mounts aren't in much better shape.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I have brand new engine mounts and trans mounts as well. I will look into the sway bar links! Thanks

Flickr

Comment

Is your control arm bushing.

Comment

Check the strut where it screws into the shock housing...

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

I have new ca bushings, and are you guys talking about the threaded collar on the top of strut housing, I tightened it as much as I could.
                The noise is only coming from the left side.

Flickr

Comment

check the sway bar end link like Jim said. Other than that I would check two things. Check that the steering rack bolts are nice and tight as well as all the front subframe bolts.

Taylor
                  Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
                  Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

Thanks guys, it's really driving me nuts. Ill try look into it tomorrow.
                    For the sway bar links, I'm guessing just make sure there isn't excessive play in them, is that right?

Flickr

Comment

is the clunk when you hit bumps, when you are turning? we need a little more info.

if you have a little wander on the highway and a clunk while turning i would say tie rods, or strut bearings.

if its just over bumps it could be CAB's, ball joints, shocks, or sway bar end links.

Originally posted by nwvb bmw
                      That guy is going to lock you in his basement and make you ware a little pirate costume.

Comment

turn up radio. problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Mullet Bullet View Post
                          is the clunk when you hit bumps, when you are turning? we need a little more info.

if you have a little wander on the highway and a clunk while turning i would say tie rods, or strut bearings.

if its just over bumps it could be CAB's, ball joints, shocks, or sway bar end links.
                          I do have a bit of wander, I figured it was just my shitty alignment. And the noise only happens over bumps. I've got new shocks, shock mounts (bearings), control arms, and cabs. What should I check for with the end links? Everything looks tight from under the car.
                          Originally posted by ubernasty View Post
                          turn up radio. problem solved.
                          That has been the cure so far.

Flickr

Comment

jack the car up, pull the tire off and check the links. Im guessing one is either broken and not connected at all or VERY loose in the control arm or the sway bar itself. I had one break on me and it did the very same noise.

Taylor
                            Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
                            Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

do you still have the bumpstops on your new strut assemblies?

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

Working...
                              X