LCAB install with CA on car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCAB install with CA on car

So my RH CA was bad so i ordered a new CA as well as M3 bushings. RH side is done and wasn't too bad at all. However, since my bushings were bad on both sides i decided to replace them. I got the lollipop bracket off, bushing out and replaced. But I am having an issue installing it. The LH CA wasn't bad (nor did I have the fundage to replace it prematurely) so I was just going to do JUST the CA.

Tips on getting it on with the CA still attached? I haven't tried removing it because I am afraid of damaging it and then not being able to use it...

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated since I need to drive it monday...

1987 BMW 325ic - Emma

If you have a ball joint press, it is no big deal to pull the control arm without damaging it, which is what I do. It is possible to change the CAB with the control arm on the car, but you'll have to come up with some way to pull the CAB and lollipop off the arm and to press it back on.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Well its off, and the new bushing has been pressed into the lollipop. All I have to do is it the back on the CA.

I have a pitman arm puller...

1987 BMW 325ic - Emma

Comment

throw the lolli in the freezer for 15 minutes. It will make the rubber shrink
        2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
        (Daily Driver)
        Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
        KW V2 Coilovers
        VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Freezer and dish soap. Freeze the bushing then put dish soap inside the opening on the bushing as well as a little bit on the arm as well.

Taylor
          Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
          Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

I installed my last CAB with the CA on the car AFTER unbolting the outer ball joint so I could swivel the bushing end towards me and work from the wheel side. Its enough of a PITA without trying to do it underneath the car & makes it that much easier to get everything bolted and the car down within the "30 minute window".

The work bench is best.
            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
            Alice the Time Capsule
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

UPDATE

Freezer + Dish Soap + Removing Ball Joint at the knuckle + BFH = Win

1987 BMW 325ic - Emma

Comment

Originally posted by bowtie2bimmer View Post
                UPDATE

Freezer + Dish Soap + Removing Ball Joint at the knuckle + BFH = Win
                I need to do the same thing to mine, would love to see some pictures of the critical steps you undertook to make this happen.

Comment

Just FYI.

I prefer to change the bushing with control arm bolted to the car. The car holds the arm still while I beat the bushing.
                  Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
                  Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
                  Ground Control facebook page

Comment

I was able to just push on the cold bushing. No BFH needed. Weird
                    2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
                    (Daily Driver)
                    Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
                    KW V2 Coilovers
                    VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Originally posted by codyep3 View Post
                      I was able to just push on the cold bushing. No BFH needed. Weird

Nobody truly NEEDS a BFH, its just more fun.

Actually sometimes you need one.
                      Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
                      Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
                      Ground Control facebook page

Comment

Working...
                      X