zhp rack install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

zhp rack install

Quick question, when I obtained my e30 it had a e36 steering rack already installed. The steering rack is leaking and there is a lot of play in the tires even after installing new tie rods and all the bushing are new upgrades, so I figure the steering rack is the issue. I'd like to install a zhp rack for the better ratio. My question is.. is this going to be a direct swap with no other modifications? Thanks in advance.

E36 Rack swap into E30

Spacing the E36 rack

Comment

Thanks for the links, however my concern is if the zhp rack installs similiarly to the e36 m3 rack.

Comment

Yes, E46 racks are for all intents and purposes of fitment the same.

Comment

sweeeeeet

Comment

Just finished this very thing.
            1990 325is - sterling silver, very nice, maybe for sale

Comment

What makes the ZHP better than the z3 rack? ratio? or just price?
              Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Z3 rack is 13.9 to 1. ZHP rack is 13.5 to 1. Second quickest ratio BMW made. First is the Z4M Coupe at 12.5 to 1

Comment

From what I read up, the Z3 rack is still slightly quicker than the ZHP in practice, but everywhere I look the Z3 one costs twice as much. I'm also looking at the ZHP for my car.

Comment

rackdoctor for $269 without core. You can specify the inner tie rods you want. I needed E30 pieces because I already had new E30 outers.

Replaced steering guibo with an aluminum piece I made, also made my own spacers from some aluminum. Both are easy to make with a holesaw and a drill press.

Replaced the steel steering column/firewall plate with an aluminum piece.

I found that drilling multiple small holes in the firewall from the inside works pretty well to define the enlarged hole. You can use a saws-all or hacksaw blade to connect those holes. Then a file to clean it up. Or if you have a carbide burr, use that to cut the hole from underneath.

Just got back from the alignment shop, set toe at 0". Drives really well. It is much stiffer than stock, almost like the power steering isn't there, but it is working because you can turn the wheel with little effort while sitting still. Also replaced all the hoses and reservoir.

Comment

I ordered my e46 ZHP rack at rack doctor yesterday.

My e30 had a stock one that is shot. Hopefully my mechanic can get 'er done!
                      -Art

Comment

what non zhp e46 rack do you recommend or just do the regular old e36 upgrade? looking at rack doctor as well. trw or zf e46 ?

Comment

Talked to the owner there. The zhp rack is the same speed as the others. It just has some different internals that give it a sportier, more direct feel. For $30, I went for it.

The trw and other zf rack are essentially the same from what I understand.

Comment

I suppose this is slightly off topic, but, has anyone here driven both an E30 with Z3 rack, and one with a ZHP rack? I'm looking to upgrade my rack fairly soon, but I'm not sure which rack to go with.

Comment

Working...
                            X