No announcement yet.

Steering rack and hoses replacement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need to read the other threads posted in here.

That said, the e36/46 racks usually require some mods to the steering joint and/or firewall if you have an airbag car. Some people seem to get away with doing nothing,
    I don't really see the need for faster steering. I don't have problems with its slowness (and I dont even have PS right now).

My concern that no one seems to address is the input/output ratio of the u joints. They are after all u joints, not a constant velocity joint. So the increased angle leads to even more non-linearity, depending on steering angle. You end up having places in the rotation of the steering wheel that result in greater rotation of the lower end of the joint (at the rack) than you put in with the steering wheel.

Sure faster steering might be desirable, but the modifications have to be done correctly otherwise you get bumpsteer and a janky steering linkage.
    --Will

Comment

I debated over which rack to replace mine with.
      Ended up with an E30 replacement. Just having a rack that works properly is a vast improvement over what I had before. My car is a daily driver so it is perfect for my needs. Rack doctor is a great choice.

Comment

Originally posted by CarsSuck View Post
        You need to read the other threads posted in here.

My concern that no one seems to address is the input/output ratio of the u joints. They are after all u joints, not a constant velocity joint. So the increased angle leads to even more non-linearity, depending on steering angle. You end up having places in the rotation of the steering wheel that result in greater rotation of the lower end of the joint (at the rack) than you put in with the steering wheel.

Sure faster steering might be desirable, but the modifications have to be done correctly otherwise you get bumpsteer and a janky steering linkage.
        What angle are you referring to?

As he said, I managed to get away with doing no modification whatsoever. Airbag cars are a different story.

Comment

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from the photos I've seen, it looks like the e36 rack is straighter in the horizontal plane, but lower in the vertical. So the shaft defelcts more downwards. I haven't actually had my hands on one, so i'm really just guessing.

Some people need to clearance the u joints to prevent binding. That is another reason I assume there is more deflection.

If you have a swivel joint in your tool box, play with that and some extensions and I think you'll see what i mean, When the u joint "turns over", it rotates quicker than in the "flat" area. The greater the deflection, the greater the effect.
          --Will

Comment

Ooh I do now see what you mean. It would be good to get some measurements. I've never had a binding problem...

All I can say is that you can also adjust how much the knuckle goes onto either shaft so that may help compensate slightly. Also, the position of the spacers (above or below rack) would also influence this

Comment

Originally posted by MoreMayhem View Post
              I debated over which rack to replace mine with.
              Ended up with an E30 replacement. Just having a rack that works properly is a vast improvement over what I had before. My car is a daily driver so it is perfect for my needs. Rack doctor is a great choice.
              This is kinda of what I was looking for. I was lead to believe the stock e30 rack is shitty and bad. All I need is just for simple daily driving.

THANKS!

Comment

My car does have an Airbag btw, if it didn't I would still be debating on which steering rack to get.
                I will be purchasing an e30 stock steering rack from rack doctor soon. Along with purchasing pressure hose from RockAuto then the reservoir and other lines/hoses.

Comment

Working...
                X