e36 rack swap on early e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e36 rack swap on early e30

I was about to start the rack swap on my '83 323i, going over the DIY and checking my parts, and noticed that this is what my steering linkage looks like:

notably, there's no collapsible link to cut to shorten the linkage. Will I need to get one that has such a link? Is it possible to arrange the rack spacers in such a way that you don't actually need to shorten the linkage? The previous owner of the rack (hi wh33lhop) says he didn't need to shorten his linkage to install it.
    cars beep boop

from what I know, the collapsible link is only on the airbag e30's. the link that's on my 87 e30 doesn't look like that. I did have to install the spacers though.
    :borg:

Comment

Thread resurrection... So kronus what'd you do? Stayed the same or swapped out with a shortened linkage? Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
      sigpic

Comment

I don't think there's any difference dimensionally between this and the late model setup with the collapsing joint.
        You can still replace the steering guibo with ~1/8" thick steel/aluminum plate, and shorten/narrow the metal pilot piece between the two.
        Just know that it will increase the amount of steering feel you get through the wheel, along with any vibrations and NVH that come with it.

Also hog out the ujoints for more angle to prevent it from binding.
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I did the swap last weekend. went in fine without modifying but had to slide the rack forward into the front subframe holes.
          No grinding was necessary, smooth operation and no binding on the linkage.

If I had shortened it i'm sure it would've fit into the aft subframe holes but would most likely have induced some binding.
          sigpic

Comment

Ive done 3 e36 rack swaps...all on early cars. Each had a collapsible joint that I removed and replaced w an adaptor kit then ground the shoulders off the u joints. My understanding is that the airbag joint does not need to be touched but that the firewall has to be opened.
            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
            Alice the Time Capsule
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
              I did the swap last weekend. went in fine without modifying but had to slide the rack forward into the front subframe holes.
              No grinding was necessary, smooth operation and no binding on the linkage.

If I had shortened it i'm sure it would've fit into the aft subframe holes but would most likely have induced some binding.
              So you have the non collapsible joint like the OP? I have the same joint as the OP and was wondering if I need tho shorten it?

I took a measurement on the Z3 rack I'm about to swap in and it seems like the splines where linkage mounts is 1/2" taller than the existing E30 rack.

For reference I have a 1984 318i.

Comment

Originally posted by thejaredhuang View Post

So you have the non collapsible joint like the OP? I have the same joint as the OP and was wondering if I need tho shorten it?

I took a measurement on the Z3 rack I'm about to swap in and it seems like the splines where linkage mounts is 1/2" taller than the existing E30 rack.

For reference I have a 1984 318i.
                1984 318i also. same joint as OP. installed a new guibo before installing the rack, didn't change the length. installed into the rack holes closer to the oil pan.
                used a purple tag rack, lines did not make contact with pan (m30b35)

by installing into the forward rack position it gives you another 1/2" of distance away from the steering column. your mileage may vary, every car is a little different based on oil pan, rack, and just overall build.
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                  X