OEM BMW "is" vs Bilstein HD dampers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM BMW "is" vs Bilstein HD dampers?

Well, that's my question. What would the difference be between new OEM BMW 325is dampers and the Bilstein HDs? How would the ride/handling be different in either?

Are the BMW "is" dampers even different then the "i" dampers, or even the "e" or "es" dampers? I would think there would be some differences throughtout the range, but I really don't know.

My specific application is an 87 325is; It has it's stock suspension, as it came from the factory. (as far as I can tell)... I DD the car now, and although the car takes sudden bumps and potholes pretty dang hard, I can tell the dampers are worn out because the car bounces a little much over rolls and dips. In the spring I will be putting new dampers in, along with a lot of other things, to make the car into a stage rally car. I'm leaving the stock springs, just want new dampers. I assume I want something that will keep the car off the ground, keep it from bottoming out. It may get airborne a small amount. haha. Anyone else have any other good option ideas for this application?

So, what are the difference between the BMW shocks, and the Bilstein HDs?
    '87 325is [because racecar]
    '81 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD {summer dd}
    '97 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited (winter dd)

The 87is dampers are supposedly different - I believe its call an m-tech or m-sport suspension package. I removed them from my car and tried to find out some info on them. I don't believe replacements can be ordered - you'd likely receive standard E30 struts/shocks.

Bilstein wasn't able to help me too much, but indicated they could likely be rebuilt. At bilstein's current rebuild cost, HDs are a better option.
    The Great Big M20 Timing Belt DIY

Some good information I've found online (no affiliation):
    Turbo Tech (Garrett)
    Four-cycle information and cam properties for beginners (ISKY Racing Cams)

Comment

This is a good coincidence. I just started a thread asking about 87 "is" springs. I'm looking at a set of used front springs, and the seller is calling them "E30 short springs". Do you know if the 87 "is" springs are also different than other years?

Thanks, Cory
      1992 325i Cabrio
      1988 320i Touring
      2000 M5
      1977 530i
      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
      BMWCCA
      E30CCA

Comment

I did not know that bilstein rebuilt dampers!

will they rebuild stock BMW dampers? (which may have come from bilstein?)

or if I find a cheap set of used HDs I could get them rebuilt, or have them rebuilt when they fail :)

good to know information! i really didn't know that service was offered haha.

and I personally don't know about the springs off the top of my head. I know the "is" springs do have a higher rate then the i springs, but I'm not aware of any year to year changes (possibly because I haven't tried to be aware) haha

Comment

what does it mean to "re-valve" ?

Comment

just get HDs. the cost to rebuild and/or revalve your 25 year old dampers, which they may not even be able to do (they only work on their own stuff) isn't going to be worth what you get in return.

the HDs have nice, long bump stops too which would help for that offroading bit..

as far as what "revalving" means, well, to Bilstein that seems to mean "make my shocks stiff as @!%#$".
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
            X