No announcement yet.

Evil steering shake at 65mph+, not sure what is the culprit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check your rack, it might just be the issue. After replacing hubs control arms and steering knuckle I found out this was the culprit. New rack from rack doctors, problem solved.

Comment

Solved my problem, I need hubcentric rings. My wheels' bore is 73.1mm in diameter while my hubcentric spacer is same as the stock hub: 57.1mm. After spinning the front wheels, I noticed they were rotating eccentrically, or wobbling up and down. After remounting them a few times, they are as close to perfect as I can get them with the tapered lug studs. The vibration is almost all gone now so the rings should help.
      1989 325i Lachssilber Sedan
      5-Speed Swapped
      M30B35 Swapped
      MegaSquirt MS3X

1987 325i Lachssilber Sedan
      260k OEM Automatic Daily Baby

Comment

Originally posted by colombacho View Post
        Check your rack, it might just be the issue. After replacing hubs control arms and steering knuckle I found out this was the culprit. New rack from rack doctors, problem solved.
        Ok, M3 swap time!

Originally posted by EatsHondas View Post
        Solved my problem, I need hubcentric rings. My wheels' bore is 73.1mm in diameter while my hubcentric spacer is same as the stock hub: 57.1mm. After spinning the front wheels, I noticed they were rotating eccentrically, or wobbling up and down. After remounting them a few times, they are as close to perfect as I can get them with the tapered lug studs. The vibration is almost all gone now so the rings should help.
        If only it were that easy...I've had hubcentric rings from the start.

Comment

Well now I need an alignment. My steering wheel sits slightly left, and the car tracks slightly right.
          1989 325i Lachssilber Sedan
          5-Speed Swapped
          M30B35 Swapped
          MegaSquirt MS3X

1987 325i Lachssilber Sedan
          260k OEM Automatic Daily Baby

Comment

Working...
          X