Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear trailing arm tethers / limiting straps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear trailing arm tethers / limiting straps?

Is anyone using a tether or limiting strap for their rear trailing arms? I have short rear coilover springs that fall out of place every time I jack the car up. They usually pop back in place with a loud, painful thud when I lower the car, but if not, I have to spend 10 minutes trying to get the car just low enough that I can push the spring in place with a long prybar, and hope that it stays there until I crawl back out. Complete PITA.

I'm thinking about just getting a braided cable or strap of some sort, attach it to the shock, and make another mount on the body somewhere.

Just wondering if anyone has found an easy/cheap way of getting this done before I go experimenting and wasting money.

Thanks
    Last edited by JGood; 04-30-2014, 05:40 AM.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Found this, looks easy and cheap enough!

Comment

Most offroaders with long travel just use seat belt webbing or some sort of equivalent. I am sure if it works for dakar it will function fine on your car.

Most of the setups I have seen are a welded rod/ bolt/ mount point on the frame and then it mounts to the axel somewhere.

^^^ or that... that would work too. (I would still use fabric myself... because salt)
      1990 BMW 325is 5spd Black
      2005 Subaru Impreza 5spd
      2015 Yamaha FZ-07

Comment

It's standard practice on our racecars.

Like you said just a plain braided strap. You could use the shock mounting stud at the bottom, but it is easier here to dig out an L-shaped laser-cut piece of steel and bolt it to the bottom spring-mount sheet metal (probably substitute some cheap angle-steel to do the same thing).

ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Or you can have a shock that has proper range of travel for your spring and not have to worry about having a mile and a half of droop. My E36 with TRM coilovers looks like stock ride height when it's on the hoist (minimal droop because shock is in the right range of motion).

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Buying a new set of shocks to replace my almost-new Bilstein sports which are great for me in every way except for the slightly excessive, and non-performance impacting droop, would be a bit wasteful in comparison to spending $10 on a strap... Haha

Comment

Psssh... just put the spring over the shock and call it good ;)
              -Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe View Post
                Or you can have a shock that has proper range of travel for your spring and not have to worry about having a mile and a half of droop. My E36 with TRM coilovers looks like stock ride height when it's on the hoist (minimal droop because shock is in the right range of motion).
                What a tool.
                Originally posted by IRON-E
                Yeah, you're definitely a vw

Comment

This is why Bilstein has 2 different shocks for the E30. Get the right one the first time.
                  Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                  A Topless Memorandum

Comment

FWIW, it would be more helpful if you guys listed part numbers or a vendor that carries the shorter shocks. I know I have never seen a shortened off-the-shelf Bilstein Sport for an E30, I'm sure I'm not alone, so why not post more info?
                    -Alex

Comment

Letting people know you know something they don't helps you feel more superior than actually helping someone out by telling them what you know.
                      For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                      Originally posted by mbonanni
                      I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Especially when you might not actually know as much as you think. It's all good though, there are certain instances (with a properly setup suspension) where a tether is a nice touch.
                        ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Done. Easy and cheap enough, and now I have a tie down point as well. The tie down hole should probably be slightly larger, it's only about 1-1/8".

Comment

So, when you go to full extension over a hill the cable unscrews your shock bolt ?
                            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                              So, when you go to full extension over a hill the cable unscrews your shock bolt ?
                              Only on one side, of course. The other side it would tighten.

JGood, you could loosen and rotate the tie down bracket so the holes line up with the pull of the cable.

You may also want to consider a short piece of steel bent about 45 degrees or so with two holes, one for the rear shock bolt and one for a crimped on clevis and pin for easy removal.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X