Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rear wheel jumping around when recovering traction: Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear wheel jumping around when recovering traction: Why?

On my S50 E30, when I loose traction (easy since 195 tires) and recover it, the rear wheels are jumping /bouncing around. Its not always doing it, but when it does, its very annoying.

I have 500lb in rate spring with bilstein sport shock. Can it just be a tired shock? What else could it be?
    E30 now S52
    2008 Suburban LTZ (Family and TT hauler)
    325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Originally posted by MatRacer View Post
    On my S50 E30, when I loose traction (easy since 195 tires) and recover it, the rear wheels are jumping /bouncing around. Its not always doing it, but when it does, its very annoying.

I have 500lb in rate spring with bilstein sport shock. Can it just be a tired shock? What else could it be?

That's called wheel hop. While it could be caused by failing suspension components, it's more likely normal. Here's two sources of info on it:

Every part of my suspension is brand new, and I get wheel hop sometimes. It just happens. Certain power/weight/traction combo's experience it, others don't.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

adjustable dampning shocks can help fine tune the suspension to keep the wheels planted
      IG: haggardfab

Comment

I thought I was having a problem with my rear passenger side spring binding and it ended up being that my CSB was flopping around and causing vibrations only when I smashed from a dig.

Comment

Thanks for the Info! sorry for my French translation! haha!
          E30 now S52
          2008 Suburban LTZ (Family and TT hauler)
          325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

I belive everybody had/ have this problem, maybe someone could give some advices
            recently changer rear suspension setup,
            I had previously bilstein b8's with some aftermarket -40 lowering springs, and It started to do wheel hop when hard acceleratin in wet conditions but not always.
            Now I have 120mm long, 120nm stiff springs and 80-2522sport ''adjustable'' Koni's (as I remember rebound is on 3/4 ''stiff'')

And now it seem like its starting to do wheelhop more often, but still only on wet. now rear is stiffer and that wheel hop feels hard and painful :D

maybe try to adjust shocks softer or full hard? then wich way to try first?
            other suggestions?
            http://instagram.com/mundieriss
            my 88' m20b30 HERE!

Comment

90% of wheelhop is caused by soft or failing subframe/control arm bushings.

An LSD rear dif will often make the problem worse, as both rear wheels are hunting for traction.
              Suspension tips here...
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Be careful with wheel hop, you can break shit that way, trust me. I've lost a diff and 2 axles (separate occasions) due to it.
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Working...
                X