Steering rack swap ... I know it's been covered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering rack swap ... I know it's been covered

Getting ready to redo the intire suspension along with rack... The car will be street drivin but I want it to be setup for track days and drift events...
    I want to hear from people with what racks you swapped and how you like them and what you do with the car.... I'm leaning in the direction of z3 non m

Z3 rack in my Lemons/ChumpCar E30. First time at the track with it last weekend; absolutely wonderful.
    sigpic

Comment

For the best value, I think the normal e36 rack is the way to go. From what I've gathered, they are the same ratio as the 96-99 M3 racks. They are $165 from rack doctor, fully rebuilt with a lifetime warranty. I currently have a 95 M3 rack that is leaking, and I'll be replacing it with one of those.
      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

+1 for RackDr. Ive bought 3 e36s from him and they come new inner tie rods
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
          For the best value, I think the normal e36 rack is the way to go. From what I've gathered, they are the same ratio as the 96-99 M3 racks. They are $165 from rack doctor, fully rebuilt with a lifetime warranty. I currently have a 95 M3 rack that is leaking, and I'll be replacing it with one of those.
          this.

cheaper and easy to find in any pick and pull yard these days off regular e36s. I think I got mine for $40 or so and it's held up fine to three years of rallycross beating.
          Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
          Track/street e21 build
          visit Condor Speed Shop
          visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
            this.

cheaper and easy to find in any pick and pull yard these days off regular e36s. I think I got mine for $40 or so and it's held up fine to three years of rallycross beating.
            True that,
            But for a street only car, I would never give up my E36/Z3 Non- M 2.7 rack.., especially since I went to a Z3 1.9 Short shifter/DSSR/ZDP/Delrin bushings/shifter rebuild in the 318is. Precision in both areas means so much to the overall feel of the car. Then again, this is for a M42 powered car so your results may vary..Clutch/lightened flywheel from M20 also.
            Thanks

Stan

Comment

rackdoctor is great.

I used an E46 rack in mine. They set it up perfect for my car with the E30 inners.
              1990 325is - sterling silver, very nice, maybe for sale

Comment

Originally posted by Just Scott View Post
                rackdoctor is great.

I used an E46 rack in mine. They set it up perfect for my car with the E30 inners.
                That brings up a question about rack doctor. They are right up the road from me in Hemingway SC, I wonder if they could stuff Non M Z-3 2.7 ratio gearing into my old E30 rack from the 318is?
                If they could, it would be a 100% bolt on mod. No firewall cutting or spacers or hardline bending.

Stan

Comment

Originally posted by The White Guy View Post
                  That brings up a question about rack doctor. They are right up the road from me in Hemingway SC, I wonder if they could stuff Non M Z-3 2.7 ratio gearing into my old E30 rack from the 318is?
                  If they could, it would be a 100% bolt on mod. No firewall cutting or spacers or hardline bending.

Stan
                  My instincts say no, but Rich (the rackdr) is extremely knowledgeable so just ask him.
                  Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                  Alice the Time Capsule
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                  87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

"My instincts say no, but Rich (the rackdr) is extremely knowledgeable so just ask him."

Yeah,
                    I kind of figured that it might not be possible. But it would be nice and could provide a "niche" market for him and the E30 community. I think allot more people would do the swap if it were a little simpler and more plug and play.

I know that both rack cases are physically different, E36 Z3 rack is a plated steel tube, E30 rack is cast aluminum like most other older euro racks.
                    Stan

Comment

i used the e36 318i rack in my convertible, and i love it so far, installing it was easy, little massaging on the firewall, 1/2' SS spacers made on the lathe, and a little tweak on the hard line. best $50 i ever spent.
                      Proud Owner and Operator.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EthirtyIS View Post
                        i used the e36 318i rack in my convertible, and i love it so far, installing it was easy, little massaging on the firewall, 1/2' SS spacers made on the lathe, and a little tweak on the hard line. best $50 i ever spent.
                        Wish mine was that easy, oh well, had my cross brace out also as I was re doing my suspension and having reinforcement plates and tabs welded on.

Stan

Comment

Working...
                        X