Rack Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rack Questions

So my steering rack needs to be replaced. Its got a lot of extra shake and a bit more play than I think it should have. So... I could go with a new (refurb) E30 rack and convert it to manual steering to get rid of more weight, or I could go with an E36/E36 M3/Z3 steering rack conversion. Not sure how manual steering on option number two would be. Opinons on powered refurb E30 rack vs. manual refurb E30 rack vs. E36/Z3 rack vs. potential manual E36/Z3 rack?

My choice would be a powered Z3 rack, which is what I'm about to do on my own E30. The stock E30 rack is just too goddamn slow. I've heard that a non-powered Z3 rack is a little heavy, but I guess it depends who you ask.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
      My choice would be a powered Z3 rack, which is what I'm about to do on my own E30. The stock E30 rack is just too goddamn slow. I've heard that a non-powered Z3 rack is a little heavy, but I guess it depends who you ask.
      So I know the Z3 rack is a faster ratio, the standard e36 rack is just better valved so it feels better or is it also a slight quicker ratio? Just for reference.

There's honestly a guy parting out a Z3 somewhat nearby. I'm also getting my hands on a condor PS delete plate for pretty cheap this week.

Comment

Read up here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=172261

Make sure the rack part number ends in 031. From what I've heard, not all Z3s came with the 2.7 turn rack.

Comment

Most Z3 racks are the same as the standard E36 rack, you need to make sure it's the one from the 1.9L engine

Comment

you need PS to run a real z3 2.7l2l rack. keep this in mind.
            the z4 rack is electric drive and does not need the fluid delete and is a good option if you dont want PS
            Much wow
            I hate 4 doors

Comment

i run an e36 rack with PS delete and I have grown very fond of it. i really dont miss PS and i enjoy being able to feel the road. so long as the car is moving you can turn the wheel easily. it does take some extra effort to palm the wheel, but it is possible.
              sigpic
              1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
              I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

I find it confusing that people complain about power steering delete. It doesn't require that much effort to turn the wheel, even with wide tires.
                2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
                (Daily Driver)
                Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
                KW V2 Coilovers
                VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

^I hate it when people brag about working out.

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
                    ^I hate it when people brag about working out.

oh rly
                    2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
                    (Daily Driver)
                    Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
                    KW V2 Coilovers
                    VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Working...
                    X