Removing Lolipop from Control Arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Lolipop from Control Arm

So I'm doing a front suspension overhaul. Going well up to now. While I'm at it, I figured I'd replace the stock CABs with M3 solid rubber. I cannot for the life of me get the lollipop off the control arm (control arm is still attached to subframe)! I made up a tool like the OEM removal tool using a harmonic balancer puller and a custom plate. No good. Won't budge. A reputable BMW mechanic doesn't use the OEM tool; said to use a 3-jaw puller and lots of soap. Still would not budge. All I ended up doing is stretching the rubber. To compound matters, the end of the control arm is not perfectly flat, so the center screw of the puller wants to "walk". I really don't feel like removing the control arms, but I'm so friggen frustrated at this point. Others say to hack or burn the rubber out. HELLLLLLP!
    Swen

I made a tool to pull on the sleeve inside the bushing. Basically just a plate with a slot in it. I reinforced it with another plate perpendicular to the first so it couldn't bend. Then just used a 2-jaw puller to pull the bushing off.

Like the plate in the bottom left, but mine has another plate to reinforce, making an angle iron shape.

Heat on the sleeve that fits on the control arm will help it come loose.
    Last edited by AndrewBird; 08-30-2015, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I made up the same tool on the left (the "puller") using a harmonic balancer puller and fabricating the plate with the slot to grab behind the CAB. It would not budge. Let me try some heat tomorrow. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Tighten the bolt more? When I first made mine, I bent the plate in half without it moving, hence the reinforcement.

Comment

Don't heat the bushing unless you like the smell. Gentle heat on the CA near the bushing will soften it enough to make it let go and not make a mess
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I see the picture is of my tool I rent, lol. Key is applying pressure evenly at the right locations. That's why the tool has ridges to fit on the inside ring and outer ring of the stock bushing. Tool is available for rental....
            Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
            BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your help. The right CAB slid off the control arm using my 3-arm gear puller no problem. The left continued to fight me so I heated it up and continued to apply pressure. I ended up stinking up the garage (door open thank God) and had to slice the inner metal ring of the CAB to get it off! But it's done. Got my new M3 solid rubber bushings pressed in by a local shop and beginning to put everything back together today.

Comment

I see the picture is of my tool I rent, lol. Key is applying pressure evenly at the right locations. That's why the tool has ridges to fit on the inside ring and outer ring of the stock bushing. Tool is available for rental....

Comment

I just hit it with a hammer really hard

Comment

Used a sledgehammer , broke it in half and welded it back together
                    1990 Alpine 325is
                    1992 Schwarz 325ic (sold)

Comment

really good aim.
                      www.instagram.com/snwmble
                      #snwmble

Current:
                      '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                      '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                      '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                      '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                      '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                      '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                      '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                      '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                        Don't heat the bushing unless you like the smell. Gentle heat on the CA near the bushing will soften it enough to make it let go and not make a mess
                        I'd go with this. Had a similar problem when I was changing out my trailing arm bushings last year. We heated the outside of the housing a bit with a torch, and they slid right out using a homemade tool. I bet it would be similar here... apply the heat to the metal on both sides of the bushing, then put your pulling tool on it.
                        Estoguy
                        1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Besides a press, what is the easiest way to remove the bushing from the lollipop? Drill holes and bend the metal ring? What about the large C clamp/bushing removal tool that you can rent from Autozone?
                          1997 Artic Silver M3
                          CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

Working...
                          X