Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I fooling myself with this setup or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I fooling myself with this setup or what?

So ill start with where my suspension setup originated from and that is from my previous e30 which was a early model 87 325is.
    When I bought it the guy gave me a few random parts and these H&R springs and shocks were part of it.
    He said he wasn't sure the springs were probably sports ((They were not sports!))and it came with some H&R shocks..

Not really thinking about it and not knowing about suspension a whole lot at the time I slapped it all on the 87 wanting something better than the terrible blown raceland coilovers it had on it. Soon to find the shocks were blown so I put some Billy's all around and called it a day (eventually adding e90 drop hats.)
    I swapped this setup over to my late model when I bought that and have been running this setup ever since.

The Discovery:

Now I have a little more time and have got most the other projects out the way (yeah right!) I want to mess with the suspension a little more.
    So I took a look at the springs the other day and looked up the part # because I was curious and it turns out they aren't sports at all!!
    They are the springs from the H&R Sport Cup Kit here is the link to them:

They say they are compared to the race spring.. I haven't found any spring rates on them or anything.

Does anyone know anything about these springs?

My guess is they probably are not functioning properly or as well as they should be seeing as I am not running the springs with the kit struts it should be matched with??

Also they say they are a drop of 2.1'' in the front and 1.7'' in the back and the H&R Race's are 1.6'' front and 1.5 drop in the back.. so I will be sitting higher if I switch to the H&R race? I just want a better rake to honest if these are good springs i could maybe pull the pads or something. I just don't know how good the spring themselves are.

Just looking for any input I haven't seen a lot of info on these springs obviously because usually people go with the right stuff and don't use handy down things that they don't look look up before..haha I always say if it works then lets see for how long lol..

Here is how the springs looked on my early model:

(the beater stripped track car don't mind the 50 shades of red & test tire fitment trials)

Regret selling it now the early models really grew on me =]

And here's the same setup on my 88':

(Different wheels and tires)

Its ok but im not really that happy with the gap in the front especially with the late model low rear wheel arches it makes my whole rake look off.. Ive just put up with it until now because I had higher priorities than fitment at the time. Looked way better on my early model to be honest.

Yeah I had two Zinno 325is's at one point :nice: (Both with bbs reps hahaha)

Thanks again for any input!
    Last edited by DirtyTh3rty; 05-13-2016, 05:34 AM.
    88' BMW 325is - Daily

It's important to note...H&R race springs are designed for the M3. So they will lower the M3 1.6" front and 1.5" rear. M3's are about an inch lower than 325's so...u do the math. I don't recall the rates for Cup kit but I seriously doubt they are as stiff as race springs.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Do you have shortened struts? If not that's about as low as it gets before the stops...
      -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
      08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
      318iS, slow build/garage queen...
      '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
      Originally posted by roguetoaster
      Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
        Do you have shortened struts? If not that's about as low as it gets before the stops...
        As in the strut housings? No its just stock housings with billy sports.
        88' BMW 325is - Daily

Comment

Working...
        X