Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Wheel Fitment Help

First post on Rev,
    I have a 1991 318is, I am running 17" style 5's with 18m adapters. I like the poke on the car and the fitment. My only problem is I am rubbing over bumbs and sharp turns. I have already rolled my fenders and do not want to do much more than that.

I am wondering what the best way to take care of the rubbing problems would be?
    Coils?
    Camber Adjustment?
    Smaller tire? (Id rather not)

My current tire specs are 215/40/17
    H&R Spring and Blisten Struts

I feel like I am so close to making it work and I would appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks! :SOS
    1. DIRTY THIRTY

Fill and drill to get rid of the adapter is the only thing I'd personally consider a decent solution that doesn't involve new wheels (pretty sure there aren't any adapters thinner than 18mm)

Lowering the car will exaggerate the rubbing, and raising it up will make the wheels look like they poke out more, so it's kind of a lose/lose there unless you just go with a terribly stiff spring so it doesn't travel.
    Adding camber would be a bit of a pain in the ass with weld in subframe adjusters, and it'll look dumb + exaggerate any lowered e30 tire wear issues.
    Smaller tire isn't worth it either.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Possibly change the barrel of the wheel since they are real bbs wheels and come apart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Easiest thing to do is to get 205/40r17 tires and go from there.
        First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by staysideways View Post
          Possibly change the barrel of the wheel since they are real bbs wheels and come apart

3pc conversion is $$$
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Get wheels that fit properly.

Done.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
              3pc conversion is $$$

He only needs the back 2. The front of e30s are pretty forgiving with his setup seen people run them all the time.

Also note to OP have you installed your spring pads in the back? You can possibly get new ones that are not squished and that will give you a little room. Of corse raising the car.

Comment

I have very similar setup looking to fix the same issue of tire rubbing over bumps and hard cornering. I might be lower than WeathermanPetro's but possibly because mine's a Touring? I've been recommended to switch to stiffer H&R Race but here's what I'm trying to avoid:

- don't want to go lower (actually like it now but will sacrifice raising for comfort)
                - don't want rougher ride (ride is rough enough on shitty NYC roads)
                - don't wanna go full coilover $etup (been recommended this too)

current:
                H&R Sports + Bilstein Touring + Rolled fender lips
                17" Style 5 - et20 - filled/drilled - 215/45

To raise the rear and not have a rougher ride I'm debating 15mm spring pads I saw on on bimmerworld, I believe they are the lower pad.

Replacement spring pad, also useful for adjusting ride height and corner balancing

Raise sounds good but not sure how it affects ride quality?
                Would this route be an in-between to going full race springs or are there some negatives?
                If this is the right route is 15mm too much or too little? I've heard some people combine pads as well...
                Or, is there an upper pad option too?

Open to all suggestions or comments, thanks.

Last edited by mxtx; 11-12-2016, 09:26 PM.
                '89 E30 Touring, '85 911 3.2 Coupe, '89 GB500, '96 XR400

Comment

I had the same setup with H&R Race springs on my vert. The trick is narrower tires...205/40/17 or raising the rear or a combination of both. You don't want that reverse rake look the facelift rear arches gives you anyway.

Last edited by reelizmpro; 11-12-2016, 10:22 PM.
                  "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                  88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                  89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                  91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Working...
                  X