best ride options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best ride options?

I am considering lowering my car with ride comfort being top priority. Does anyone have suggestions for this? My e39 touring with coilovers is pretty darn harsh.

There are quite a few threads on the subject already in this very subforum.

That said, IMO the best balance of ride comfort and good looks is achieved with H&R Sport springs and Koni SA dampers.
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
      There are quite a few threads on the subject already in this very subforum.

That said, IMO the best balance of ride comfort and good looks is achieved with H&R Sport springs and Koni SA dampers.
      Both of these things.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
      Transaction feedback
      - jpod999

Comment

I'd suggest H&R OE Sports and Koni STR.T Struts and e90 front drop hats. I have H&R OE Sports and e90 hats on my car now and for a daily they are great. Lowered it enough and still very comfortable ride. The one thing I wish I had done was go with the STR.T struts... I ended up getting getting KYB's and I don't feel like they're quite enough to keep up with the springs.

Search for pictures of my car and you can see it's ride height
        2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
        1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
        1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

can these things be done without altering my strut housing? would the H&R sports be a better ride than GC coilovers?

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
            can these things be done without altering my strut housing? would the H&R sports be a better ride than GC coilovers?
            yes, and hell yes
            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate this info. I will be running BBS RS 16x7.5 and 16x8.5 in the rear and I am looking for "gentleman low" and a ride that my wife won't dread riding in. I will look into the H&R sports and Koni. If I may, does anyone have a rough ballpark Idea of how much of a drop this will give me and MOST importantly my main goal here is to avoid the "back lower than the front" look that late model e30s get when dropped. Is this avoidable with this set up? It's kind of the main reason I looked at coilovers.

Comment

around 700? Go to turnermotorsports and price it out.
                Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

whats up with H&R super sport springs? Are they newer? What If I put sport springs in the rear and super sport springs in the front? I don't want the rear dropped as much as the front. Is this a terrible idea?
                  Last edited by Clark; 08-25-2016, 12:00 PM.

Comment

E30 M3 springs are another option, I run them on my 87. The wheels are 16x7.5" Hartge Type A.

Don't forget, if you try to "avoid" the issue of the rear looking lower than the front on a late model, you'll end up jacking up the rear of the car in actuality. Up to you if that's worth it.
                    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

I've decided on sport springs with 15mm spring pad in the rear and e90 drop hat in the front to remedy the low back end and high front end look that the late model e30s can have. Thoughts on my decision?

Comment

Ive got H&R Cabrio springs on...well..my Cabrio. I removed the drop hats when I swapped out the BS Sports for,Koni SAs cause my front mud flaps were dragging. Neither set up had reverse rake which the cabrios are famous for. Have H&R oe sports on the ETA with BS Touring and it sits fine as well.

No need to cobble together a split set of springs.
                        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                        Alice the Time Capsule
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
                        X