Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Coilovers should I buy?

Hi everyone,

I'm in the search for a nice lowering setup for my 89 e30 coupe. I've had springs before on other e30's I've owened, but I always wanted that little extra drop for that ultimate look.

I know I need coilovers for that, but I want to know which ones would give me a nice and smooth ride- something close to what comfortable springs would give me. I want something i can daily drive with, and not "feel" the road too much....

Thanks!

BC Racing has an 'extreme low' optioned kit that might suit you.
    Adjustment is done by moving the shock body up and down, so you won't be losing shock travel as you adjust.
    Includes camber plates and rear shock mounts as well, hard to beat honestly.

Loook up the front install, it's not plug and play though.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Smooth ride and ultra low dont go together. You need suspension travel to get a good ride quality. But what some people say is acceptable ride quality I say is teeth jaring.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
        But what some people say is acceptable ride quality I say is teeth jaring.
        Very true, so hard to get a solid answer.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I wasn't too impressed with bc coilovers setup. very bouncy and struts and springs didn't work together well. that was BC's stock spring rates. Both at the same height. GC I went with 450f/550r I thought I wouldn't need a ground control setup for extra convertible I brought but driving around in the car wasn't very fun compared to driving in my car with full GC setup. I would have rather got a good setup with springs then cheap coilovers...

My coupe also has ground control setup but definitely stiffer spring setup but not bouncy stiff... Feels controlled not bouncy is the only way I can explain.

Comment

What's everyone's thoughts on CATuned's Coilovers? I know a tad pricey, but anyone know how the ride/build quality is?

Comment

Originally posted by ATL_E30 View Post
              What's everyone's thoughts on CATuned's Coilovers? I know a tad pricey, but anyone know how the ride/build quality is?
              I heard they were just rebranded cheaper brand coils, but not sure if thats true or not. Have heard mixed reviews from owners on them.
              Steve • Toronto
              1991 318is • Brillantrot
              Build Thread

Comment

Maybe do a little research on CATuned on here. They aren't exactly well loved, and I have heard the exact same about their coilovers being rebranded junk.

Comment

I've had BC coils for 7ish years. No issues here. Only thing i replaced is rear strut cartridges which you can buy through a vendor.

Comment

Originally posted by ATL_E30 View Post
                    They are BCs. They supposedly have the shocks custom valved, but they are still BCs none the less.

Comment

What about fortuneauto 500? haven't heard much about them, but everyone raves about them on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by atjSanz View Post
                        What about fortuneauto 500? haven't heard much about them, but everyone raves about them on YouTube.
                        I think a lot of people on Youtube rave about them because they are getting them at a discount, so that they'll do positive reviews of them on Youtube.

From real world people I've talked to a read about, they aren't that good.
                        Steve • Toronto
                        1991 318is • Brillantrot
                        Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                        X