Need some specific suspension help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some specific suspension help

Ok so it's time to fix the suspension on my E30.

The car is a 86 325es with m62 swap. I'm running no name lowering springs with jom shocks and the thing SQUATS when I punch it.

So obviously I'm thinking a stiffer spring rate for the rear but the one tricky thing is I'm not running a front sway bar because it will not fit past my exhaust...

It is what it is I'v tried almost everything and the sway bar just won't fit. So I'm wondering if there is a specific spring rate/suspension setup I can run to compensate for this?

Possibly stiffer springs all around? I k ow gc has custom spring rates and so does bc for there coilovers setup. Not trying to spend a fortune just want my car to handle better.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

You can definitely compensate for lack of sway with more spring rate. You may find you have to go so high that the car gets really harsh though. It's also usually hard to find shocks with enough damping for those spring rates so you will probably need to consider custom/revalved solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by citizen_insane View Post
      You can definitely compensate for lack of sway with more spring rate. You may find you have to go so high that the car gets really harsh though. It's also usually hard to find shocks with enough damping for those spring rates so you will probably need to consider custom/revalved solutions.
      Damn that's what I was thinking too. Maybe I can find a decent in between combo. Any shock recommendations? I hear Bilstein sports are rough and the konis are nice but not cheapp

Comment

How about a custom made sway bar that fits?

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
          How about a custom made sway bar that fits?
          The mounting of the sway bar is where it doesn't fit, I'd have to mount it in a completely different location

Comment

I'd redo the exhaust before not running a front swaybar. The rear bar isn't as important, but front is pretty important in an e30, unless you really compromise elsewhere.

As for suspension, I'd highly recommend the Ireland Engineering Coilover kits. The rear adjusters are $100, and you can buy 2.25" springs new for $150 or find used springs somewhere. THe whole thing just swaps in place of the stock springs, and now you have height adjustment and can swap spring rates, as they are universal. I'm running 4" 825lb springs, my 600lb springs left me with too much squat. With Bilstein Sports it feels great.

The fronts are easy, again the IE coilover kit is like $150, just cut the perch off and slide the sleeve on. Find some 2.5" springs and you're done. You can shorten the housings if you want to go low, then run iX, corrado, etc.. inserts. Plenty of threads here with info on that. I'm running 450lb 6" springs with a 22mm swaybar, housings are shorted 2" with Koni iX adjustable inserts, and I like it a lot.
            85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
            e30 restoration and V8 swap
            24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
              I'd redo the exhaust before not running a front swaybar. The rear bar isn't as important, but front is pretty important in an e30, unless you really compromise elsewhere.

As for suspension, I'd highly recommend the Ireland Engineering Coilover kits. The rear adjusters are $100, and you can buy 2.25" springs new for $150 or find used springs somewhere. THe whole thing just swaps in place of the stock springs, and now you have height adjustment and can swap spring rates, as they are universal. I'm running 4" 825lb springs, my 600lb springs left me with too much squat. With Bilstein Sports it feels great.

The fronts are easy, again the IE coilover kit is like $150, just cut the perch off and slide the sleeve on. Find some 2.5" springs and you're done. You can shorten the housings if you want to go low, then run iX, corrado, etc.. inserts. Plenty of threads here with info on that. I'm running 450lb 6" springs with a 22mm swaybar, housings are shorted 2" with Koni iX adjustable inserts, and I like it a lot.
              Re doing the exahust isn't an option unfortunately.

But I did not know of the ie coilovers, that sounds like a very affordable option! Thanks for the Info, I believe you shared your GoPro video on my FB post of your spring rate change btw good stuff

Comment

Got any photos?

I feel like regardless of what you have done there should be a way to make a sway bar fit. Modify the oem mounts, space them out so the bar goes around things etc. Always options.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                  Got any photos?

I feel like regardless of what you have done there should be a way to make a sway bar fit. Modify the oem mounts, space them out so the bar goes around things etc. Always options.
                  I don't have any photos off hand. But pretty much my "hand build direct swap" shorty headers I ordered come down to low right next to the passenger side sway bar mount. The only possible way would be to space it done like 2-3" or mount it somewhere else completely

Comment

This is a picture of how my headers flange is right in the way

Comment

Then I got thinking [emoji848] what if I flip my way bar to the front and make mounting brackets

Comment

That's what these do, allow you to flip your sway bar to the front

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X