Manual Steering Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual Steering Rack

What does a manual steering rack look like? Does anybody have pics or a part number so I can look it up?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ACHTUNG; 11-09-2006, 08:25 AM.
    1989 US E30 Cammed S52
    Under Construction: 1983 Euro E28 Cammed LQ9/LS3 Heads/Jakeb E28 LSx Kit

I just removed my PS belt :)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657387

Comment

why does everyone oogle over the manual rack? the ratio is even SLOWER than the power rack, not to mention low speed turning will suck (parking lots and autox, mainly).
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I really prefer the weighted feel, I didnt like that I can turn my steering wheel with one finger, actually as long as you are going over 5mph its not bad at all, so autoX is not a problem but backing in and out of park spaces requires you to really yank on the steering wheel. It doesnt take a minute to remove your power steering belt, you should try it for a day.

Comment

i dont like the mod to just take a power system and remove the belt or looping lines. it doesnt feel as nice as a true manual rack.

on the manual rack, or a modified rack, slow speed steering is tolerable, not something easily done with one hand but its by no means heavy.
          the best thing about the manual rack is the response and feel. Its clean and not affected by a power system.

i wrote instructions on modifying a power rack to make it full manual. it should be on this site. i also made a spaner wrench which i can send to anyone if they need to borrow it.

Comment

remove this seal.

plug the lines.
            Attached Files

Comment

good deal I will be Tempted to convert it true manual.

Comment

true true. I have a true manual rack on believe me in a jittery situation non-pwr steering can very save ur hiney!

Overal the manual rack has a nice feel to will slow & higher speed in the E30 is quite light comparing to some other non-pwr steering cars I've driven.

-> Afficionados join the M-technic I club

Comment

Originally posted by nefarious7907 View Post
                  I really prefer the weighted feel, I didnt like that I can turn my steering wheel with one finger, actually as long as you are going over 5mph its not bad at all, so autoX is not a problem but backing in and out of park spaces requires you to really yank on the steering wheel. It doesnt take a minute to remove your power steering belt, you should try it for a day.
                  try doing a tight autox course with the slow manual rack rate. the stock e30 rack is bad enough, the manual one will require way too much steering input.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Kilomph View Post
                    Euro manual rack

32111130169 - $297 - remfd rack
                    32111130842 - $433 - new rack
                    Prices from PP, quoted about 6 months ago. I decided against it, 95 M3 seems like the best choice. I'd still love to see what a true manual rack feels like.

Comment

Are there any other faster manual racks that will work in an e30? What kind of weight savings are there without all the power steering components?

edit: what's 'PP'?

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                        Are there any other faster manual racks that will work in an e30? What kind of weight savings are there without all the power steering components?

edit: what's 'PP'?
                        Pelican Parts. I'm pretty sure that's the only manual rack. Who knows though, "with enough money" blah blah.

I think you loose about 10-15 lbs. Don't quote me on that though.

Comment

that pump is pretty heavy, not to mention the amount of fluid in the res.
                          by memory of feel, i would guess ~25 (for some reason, its one item i didnt record the weight from before tossing)

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            why does everyone oogle over the manual rack? the ratio is even SLOWER than the power rack, not to mention low speed turning will suck (parking lots and autox, mainly).
                            Have you driven an E30 a proper manual rack?
                            Steering effort isn't too bad at all, just need to be moving and its nothing.

Also, I believe the difference is 4.0 lock/lock for power and 4.1 or something insignificant for manual rack.

Comment

I think it would be fun with a 3.0 rack but that would require that much more effort, which might be a good thing

Comment

Working...
                              X