Who’s used the garagistic steering kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who’s used the garagistic steering kit?

I ordered the non-airbag spacer kit with new hardware to modify the steering joint and I must say (unless I’m an idiot) I’m not happy with how this “kit” fits.

Do I need to remove a significant amount of metal off of the joint to get the bolts to go in? I’ve tried lots of different ways and I can get one end in but the joint has to be titled, therefore making it hit the other bolts head. Am I being an idiot and not doing this right?

Click image for larger version

Name:	0A77544F-A268-48E9-A04A-5E05D9257580.jpeg
Views:	473
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	9892083

I used their kit to install an e46 ZHP rack, it's been a little while since install. I do think I remember needing to drill out the holes in the steering coupler a bit in order to allow the spacers to sit down into the hole up to the level of the shoulder on the spacer. It's a tight fight but it will work, and is nice and solid once you get everything tightened down. Another thing you'll need to do is use a file or a small grinding wheel on a dremmel to shave down the upper coupler joint otherwise with the more acute angle that the steering knuckles will need to attach to the new rack, the top joint will want to bind.

Drill the holes out a bit, when the spacers are able to sit down all the way up to the shoulder in the spacer you will have enough room to wiggle the bolts in:

On the op knuckle (end that attaches near the firewall), file/grind down the area highlighted by the arrows to give the joint more play and avoid binding:

Also a word of advice, not sure how you're going about replacing the rack. When I did mine I dropped the subframe (was replacing other things at the same time) and attached the rack to the subframe and lifted it all back in together. I got the top knuckle secured and bolted up first, make sure you get the bottom seated on the steering rack splines first before lifting the subframe/rack assembly into place. I lifted the subframe up and bolted it in place and learned the hard way that there isn't enough play in the knuckle to get it seated on the rack once the subframe is bolted in. Had to drop the subframe again and seat the steering knuckle first, then lift the subframe/rack assembly up again. D'oh.

'86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
      I used their kit to install an e46 ZHP rack, it's been a little while since install. I do think I remember needing to drill out the holes in the steering coupler a bit in order to allow the spacers to sit down into the hole up to the level of the shoulder on the spacer. It's a tight fight but it will work, and is nice and solid once you get everything tightened down. Another thing you'll need to do is use a file or a small grinding wheel on a dremmel to shave down the upper coupler joint otherwise with the more acute angle that the steering knuckles will need to attach to the new rack, the top joint will want to bind.

Drill the holes out a bit, when the spacers are able to sit down all the way up to the shoulder in the spacer you will have enough room to wiggle the bolts in:

Well shit - there could be my problem. I’m trying to put the bolts the other way.

Comment

Since you’ve been driving on it - what’s your thought on the delrin? I ordered the kit and also order a new rubber OEM piece. It’s gonna be a spirited driving car and don’t want it extremely harsh. Any guidance compared to stock of Delrin vs rubber OEM?

Comment

I used their kit to install an e46 ZHP first, then lift the subframe/rack assembly up again.
          I looked back at the video and he starts out putting the bolts in one way but at the end it’s exactly how you have it.

Comment

Regarding the delrin bushing vs the OEM rubber one, it's really hard to tell a difference to be honest. The difference between the stock rack vs. the ZHP was so much that any difference attributable to the bushing was lost in translation. The cost of the delrin bushing vs the OEM rubber was so minimal that I figured what the hell, just upgrade but I doubt I'll honestly ever be able to tell a difference driving the car.
            '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Regarding the delrin bushing vs the OEM rubber one, it's really hard to tell a difference to be honest.
              I've done this upgrade (delrin coupler), and I remember that my steering wheel had waaayyy more wobble in it, especially during braking. I definitely felt a difference right away. It was pretty annoying (especially during highway use) but I just got used to it. After a while I installed the Garagistic 80a FCABs (centered) and I had a lot less wobble in the steering wheel. Overall I wouldn't say its an OEM+ upgrade, but definitely great for performance driving due to the increased feedback.
              "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

Originally posted by Zambuzan View Post

I've done this upgrade (delrin coupler), and I remember that my steering wheel had waaayyy more wobble in it, especially during braking. I definitely felt a difference right away. It was pretty annoying (especially during highway use) but I just got used to it. After a while I installed the Garagistic 80a FCABs (centered) and I had a lot less wobble in the steering wheel. Overall I wouldn't say its an OEM+ upgrade, but definitely great for performance driving due to the increased feedback.
                hmm...well its a spirited fun driver never to see a track or autocross event. I ordered the delrin and a new OEM rubber piece. Maybe I should just go for the new OEM rubber. Choices...

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrcruse View Post

hmm...well its a spirited fun driver never to see a track or autocross event. I ordered the delrin and a new OEM rubber piece. Maybe I should just go for the new OEM rubber. Choices...
                  Is it even worth it to install a new OEM rubber piece? Isn’t it riveted in place? Wouldn’t you need a rivet tool or something?

Another option in between is the Ireland Engineering version which is poly instead of delrin, but I don’t know much about it.
                  "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

Originally posted by Zambuzan View Post

Is it even worth it to install a new OEM rubber piece? Isn’t it riveted in place? Wouldn’t you need a rivet tool or something?

Another option in between is the Ireland Engineering version which is poly instead of delrin, but I don’t know much about it.
                    Was going to replace OEM rubber and then use the hardware from garagistic stuff. Not sure really...I thought I created an issue with the OEM rivets (the rubber piece is also a safety thing) with banging the shit out of it - through I simulated a "crash" when I beat the shit out of it with a hammer. So thought for peace of mind - I thought I'd replace it. Maybe dumb to do.

I felt a bit of play in the rivets but now, after installing the spacer kit, don't feel any. So maybe its not worth the hassle.
                    Last edited by Mastrcruse; 12-17-2019, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Keep it simple and just leave it alone. Unless it's obviously deteriorated, just save yourself the time and money, and keep the stock one. You're thinking about this too much.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                        Keep it simple and just leave it alone. Unless it's obviously deteriorated, just save yourself the time and money, and keep the stock one. You're thinking about this too much.
                        Thanks! OCD is really kicking in haha. I think you’re right. I actually have the delrin kit and a new rubber disc sitting on the table but I’m not gonna mess with it. The disc doesn’t look deteriorated.

Comment

Working...
                        X