1991 318is steering feels very light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 318is steering feels very light

I am not sure if I have a problem or not but my steering feels very light at all speeds to the point where I can steer the car with 1 finger. It's been like that ever since I had the car and I am not sure if it's normal. Being that it's a BMW I expected the steering to be tight but this feels like a 70's Cadillac with over boosted steering.

As you have an M42, if you feel the steering is too over boosted, you could always delete the power steering with a block off plate? The M42 isn't a heavy engine so parking should still be ok. If you find you don't like it, then you haven't done anything permanent and can refit the power steering pump. You can get one from Garagistic or a number of other vendors.

There are a couple of different power steering pumps available for the e30 - not sure if the M42 runs the same pump as the M20, but the M20 pump had higher pressure than the M10 pump for example. I run an M10 pump on my car as I felt my steering was a bit over boosted for my taste and it's about right for me running the rack at slightly lower pressure.
    My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

I popped the belt off this morning before a ride to work. I think it actually made the issue more prevalent. The steering itself got very stiff but I have a dead area in the steering. Basically I can wiggle the steering wheel left and right about an inch or more with no resistance at all and no response from the wheels. I watched the steering shaft as I did this and it appears the movement goes all the way down into the rack. Does this mean the rack is worn out? Are there any adjustments that can be made to the rack to tighten it up? I feel like this is borderline dangerous because when driving it feels like I have no steering until I turn the wheel more than an inch.

The suspension is all new. Everything is brand new, all bushings, tie rods, ball joints, etc.

Comment

If you steering shaft flex disc is worn, it can make your steering wheel have plan. You should be albe to see this. It is the larger knuckle in the engine bay, between the steering column and rack.
        Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
        BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

The flex disc is fine. That's the first thing I checked. I don't think it's the shaft itself because the play travels all the way down into the rack.

What steering rack upgrades are out there? If I am gonna replace the rack might as well get a better one. I know E36, E46 and Z3 all fit. I missed out on a Z3 rack last year and can't see myself coming across another one any time soon. Do E90 racks fit? Looking at the pics the hoses connect on the opposite side but otherwise looks identical.
          Last edited by bignslow; 06-12-2020, 07:04 PM.

Comment

I recently replaced my entire steering system. Ended up doing a e46 purple rack from RackDoctor, couldn't bring myself to spend the extra $150-200 on a ZHP rack (yellow tag). I have an airbag car so I had to modify the firewall a bit and build a new blockoff plate to get things installed, but overall wasn't really that bad to do. Also replaced the PS lines and reservoir with a Chase Bays kit, swapped out the pump with a used one as well.

Rack went from 4 to 3 turns lock to lock, night and day difference. Definitely more twitchy but I think that's more to do with 15 years of muscle memory of the old rack, doesn't take long to get used to.

Comment

Originally posted by e30if View Post
              Definitely more twitchy but I think that's more to do with 15 years of muscle memory of the old rack, doesn't take long to get used to.
              I hear that's how it usually goes with a rack upgrade, as long as one does not go overboard.

Comment

Swapped E46 rack on the other day. Night and day difference. Steering is very tight now. The only issue I got is car pulls to the right even after alignment. Is it possible that steering shaft imbalance is causing this?

Comment

Originally posted by bignslow View Post
                  Swapped E46 rack on the other day. Night and day difference. Steering is very tight now. The only issue I got is car pulls to the right even after alignment. Is it possible that steering shaft imbalance is causing this?
                  A pull is caused by camber or caster that isn't equal side to side. Whats your alignment sheet look like?

Comment

I have swapped both a yellow tag and purple tag rack and I love both of them. The yellow tag feels really great and would be the option I would go for if you can find one. I have driven cars with z3 racks and at highway speeds they are alot more twitchy than the e46 racks. The e46 racks will give you that heavier feel you are looking for.
                    Originally posted by blunttech
                    Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
                    :shock:

Comment

Working...
                    X