Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on Ground Control SCCA camber/caster plate install.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on Ground Control SCCA camber/caster plate install.

Hello everyone. I've been trying to sort out my V8 E30 for autocross, and decided to go with the GC SCCA camber/caster plates. I cheaped out on coilovers and went with Solo-werks E36 M3 coilovers (I've spent too much on this dumb build, wife would kill me if I spent much more), and the guys at Bimmerworld told me there weren't any GC camber/caster plates that would work with my coilovers.

Me being stubborn and more capable machining-wise than most decided to take a gamble and order a set, intent on making it fit. So I ordered the set, told them to send me a set for KW coilovers since that's what Solo-werks told me, and they arrived today.

From what I can tell, they bolt right up, they seem to fit fine, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. One thing I see is a gap here between the strut shaft and the spring perch:

Is the spring perch supposed to be tighter to the shaft here? Everything else honestly looks fine but I wanted to ask about this specifically. Seems like it SHOULD self-center when put under load due to the spherical top surface, but also seems like it should be tighter. Machining a spacer that fits in there would be easy if it's necessary.

Thanks for any input. I've tried Googling and not found anything definitive, so was hoping someone here knew the answer.

edit: I also emailed GC with measurements from the strut, just wanted to see if the brain trust here had any ideas.
    Last edited by Elysian; 02-08-2021, 06:26 PM.

I'm not sure if it's just on my end but my edit isn't showing up. I have emailed Ground Control as well, just wanted to see if the brain trust here had any idea. When I emailed Ground Control last month it took them weeks to reply.

Comment

Maybe a few more photos.

The upper spring perch will jiggle around if you don't have helper springs. Should have a bearing in the upper perch and a platform to articulate. The shock shaft shouldn't move up, down, left, or right. Securely mounted.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Here's some more pics.

This pic just shows the relationship between the GC plates and the spring perch.

These two pictures show the spherical surface that interfaces the plates with the spring perch.

And this is the shaft shape. The shaft bolts perfectly inside the spherical bearing on the GC Plate, my only question is about the spring perch, if the hole should be a tighter fit to the strut shaft or not.

Hopefully hear back from GC tomorrow. I sent them the same pictures. This is my first time doing camber/caster plates AND coilovers, so lots to learn still.

Comment

Finally heard back from GC this morning, they told me it looks like the KW fitment should work for my coilovers, so this is resolved.

Comment

Working...
          X