Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Does Tire Sizing Work? READ THIS

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    How Does Tire Sizing Work? READ THIS

    • Tire

      • Tires only have one shape, but they have many sizes. The size (along with other pertinent information) is stamped on the sidewall of the tire. It has three measurements of the tire and the numbers are separated by forward slashes. Use the following tire size as an example to break down the definition of the size of the tire. 185/65/R15. The numbers and letters after this number define the speed and load ratings of the tire.


    • Tire Width

      • The width of the example tire is 185 millimeters. This measurement is measured with the tire mounted and inflated to specifications from the widest point of the sidewall to the widest point of the opposite sidewall; straight across. The higher the number, the wider the tire. The lower the number, the narrower the tire.


    • Aspect Ratio

      • Also known as the section height of the tire, this measurement is used to determine in a percentage, and measures the sidewall from the wheel to the tread. In the case of the example tire, the aspect ratio or height of the tire is 65 percent of the section width of the tire. The higher the aspect ratio number, the taller the tire. The lower the number, the shorter the tire.


    • Diameter

      • The last number on the example tire size is the diameter of the tire. In this case, 15. The "R" before the number indicates it is radial ply. This is the most common letter you will see there for car tires. The number after the letter "R" is the measurement of the size of the hole in the middle of the tire, and determines what size rim or wheel to mount the tire on in inches. While some heavy duty trucks may use 1/2 inch size (like 16.5) most all cars only use inches. The example tire size has a diameter of 15 inches, and will only work on a 15 inch wheel.


    • Tire Size Conversions

      • There may be other sizes you can deviate from for your vehicle. Often, this information will be offered on the tire label. For example, if your car took the specific tire size used in the example size, it may also display another number at the bottom of the label in a 16 inch rim. The rim and tire for each wheel would have to be changed, but the information would provide you with another option that would fit the wheel well of the car without interfering with the suspension or chassis components of the car. Also, most reputable tire dealers will have a tire size conversion chart where the actual tire size of your car can be compared to similar sizes from which you may want to deviate. For example, you may wish to go with a wider tire or a taller sidewall tire. This size conversion chart would show in inches and/or millimeters how much difference there is between the actual size and the size you desire.

    BimmerHeads
    Classic BMW Specialists
    Santa Clarita, CA

    www.BimmerHeads.com


    #2
    I think my stupidity was just responsible for a sticky...


    Go here be happy!

    Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

    Comment


      #3
      Most people know about this, but...

      Here's a handy tool you can use to see how much bigger or smaller a tire is going to be compared to stock and how that will affect your speedometer.

      http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

      Originally posted by SpasticDwarf
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

      Comment


        #4
        these 2 are pretty cool sites too..

        http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/vis...ize-calculator

        http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecal...r-snt-emty-str
        ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)Be Afraid Of The Future

        Comment


          #5
          This is also useful:

          http://customwheelsmarket.com/rimwheelwidth1.html
          sigpic

          Comment


            #6
            Thanks guys!
            BimmerHeads
            Classic BMW Specialists
            Santa Clarita, CA

            www.BimmerHeads.com

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by MR 325 View Post
              • Tire

                • Tires only have one shape, but they have many sizes. The size (along with other pertinent information) is stamped on the sidewall of the tire. It has three measurements of the tire and the numbers are separated by forward slashes. Use the following tire size as an example to break down the definition of the size of the tire. 185/65/R15. The numbers and letters after this number define the speed and load ratings of the tire.


              • Tire Width

                • The width of the example tire is 185 millimeters. This measurement is measured with the tire mounted and inflated to specifications from the widest point of the sidewall to the widest point of the opposite sidewall; straight across. The higher the number, the wider the tire. The lower the number, the narrower the tire.


              • Aspect Ratio

                • Also known as the section height of the tire, this measurement is used to determine in a percentage, and measures the sidewall from the wheel to the tread. In the case of the example tire, the aspect ratio or height of the tire is 65 percent of the section width of the tire. The higher the aspect ratio number, the taller the tire. The lower the number, the shorter the tire.


              • Diameter

                • The last number on the example tire size is the diameter of the tire. In this case, 15. The "R" before the number indicates it is radial ply. This is the most common letter you will see there for car tires. The number after the letter "R" is the measurement of the size of the hole in the middle of the tire, and determines what size rim or wheel to mount the tire on in inches. While some heavy duty trucks may use 1/2 inch size (like 16.5) most all cars only use inches. The example tire size has a diameter of 15 inches, and will only work on a 15 inch wheel.


              • Tire Size Conversions

                • There may be other sizes you can deviate from for your vehicle. Often, this information will be offered on the tire label. For example, if your car took the specific tire size used in the example size, it may also display another number at the bottom of the label in a 16 inch rim. The rim and tire for each wheel would have to be changed, but the information would provide you with another option that would fit the wheel well of the car without interfering with the suspension or chassis components of the car. Also, most reputable tire dealers will have a tire size conversion chart where the actual tire size of your car can be compared to similar sizes from which you may want to deviate. For example, you may wish to go with a wider tire or a taller sidewall tire. This size conversion chart would show in inches and/or millimeters how much difference there is between the actual size and the size you desire.

              on the picture of you car, what wheels are those?

              Comment


                #8
                I know I've seem multiple sites that have pictures of variously sized tires on variously sized wheels.

                This is one of them:

                http://tyrestretch.com/

                What are some others? I know there are some out there...

                Originally posted by SpasticDwarf
                Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Also keep in mind for very close fitment issues that not all tires are the same. not every 225/50/16 is going to be the same. Some brands may run wider even though it may be a "225"

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by future rs View Post
                    Also keep in mind for very close fitment issues that not all tires are the same. not every 225/50/16 is going to be the same. Some brands may run wider even though it may be a "225"
                    That's right.

                    And under tire width, contact patch should also be noted.
                    "This measurement is measured with the tire mounted and inflated to specifications from the widest point of the sidewall to the widest point of the opposite sidewall"
                    That means two tires could have the same "225" width, but one could have a larger contact patch than the other, for several reasons, like it being a summer vs winter tire or the tire having a larger or smaller aspect ratio.
                    Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by lambo View Post
                      What are some others? I know there are some out there...
                      Found it!

                      http://rimtuck.com/

                      Originally posted by SpasticDwarf
                      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Also, with *most* R-comp or like R-comp tires... they run wider than your average street tire!


                        Project log -- DIRTY 30

                        2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

                        Comment


                          #13
                          http://www.willtheyfit.com/
                          past:
                          1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                          1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                          1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                          current:
                          1985 323i baur (project to resume soon...)
                          2013 ninja 300 (way more fun than a car)

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Best one I've found:


                            http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
                            Originally posted by kronus
                            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
                              That's right.

                              And under tire width, contact patch should also be noted.
                              "This measurement is measured with the tire mounted and inflated to specifications from the widest point of the sidewall to the widest point of the opposite sidewall"
                              That means two tires could have the same "225" width, but one could have a larger contact patch than the other, for several reasons, like it being a summer vs winter tire or the tire having a larger or smaller aspect ratio.
                              Thanks that's what I was looking for. Contact patch.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X