Tire Size Options for 17 X 7.5 Alpina Kopi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire Size Options for 17 X 7.5 Alpina Kopi

Hey Guys. I am getting my new wheels hopefully in a couple of weeks and have been all over the place in terms of what size tire to get for these. I am not opposed to rolling the fenders as I have some experienced folk help me with this part. In terms of performance, what is the optimal tire size for this wheel size on a DD 2.5i with a mild suspension setup of Bil sports, HR sports & UUC Swaybarbarian setup. The new wheels have a et20 BTW. Now that I have a lemons racer, this car hasnt seen much track duty, but would like to do more single day track events locally. The car sees around 8k miles annually, with a good mix of fwy and city, prob 50/50.

What would you guys run size wise? This will determine which tire I get as there are not infinite choices like other wheel sizes. When I spoke to the tire rack guys, they would run a 215/40 tire, but may go larger if they could fit them in the wells. To go larger than 215, is there much of a difference in fender rolling to get a 225 or a 235 to fit?

Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by firemanory; 01-04-2013, 08:51 PM.
    sigpic
    Rediculously Cool!

www.squatchboxx.com

Instagram @squatchboxxcoolers

On a 7.5" I would go with a 205 or 215 as well. You will have too much sidewall rollover with 225s.

I run 17x8.5 et 40 with 235/40s and will run 245/35s if they are still available when they are worn.
    Last edited by R3Z3N; 01-05-2013, 12:18 AM.

Comment

I've run both 235/40 and 215/40 on a 17x7.5 wheel. I had some rubbing issues occasionally with the 215s due to my offset (5lug issues), but the 235s need a light roll if you care about your fenders at all. The amount interference can vary from tire to tire. Seeing as how this is going to be mainly a street car I would go with 215s. You don't need the extra width or the $$$ that goes with it.

Comment

This car got 235/40/17 all around, i dont recommend them in the front though.
        6psi 224hp/260tq

Comment

Originally posted by AlpinaB3 View Post
          This car got 235/40/17 all around, i dont recommend them in the front though.
          What wheel size and offset? Great pic!

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
            On a 7.5" I would go with a 205 or 215 as well. You will have too much sidewall rollover with 225s.

I run 17x8.5 et 40 with 235/40s and will run 245/35s if they are still available when they are worn.
            too much sidewall rollover with 225s on a 17x7.5" wheel? are you joking?
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

No, not joking at all. It's quite noticeable on track. 8s should be the min width for 225s. Lots of talk about it on the SCCA forums as well. General concensus is you are adding too much more weight, for not much more grip, and alot of communication lost, and unresponsiveness from running too wide a tire on too narrow of a rim.

Comment

^^^ Agreed!
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Waiting on Kopis to come in. I’m okay with rolling fenders so it looks like 215/40 or 235/40 is the way to go. It’ll be a cruiser with spirited driving on HR sports and bils. Is 215/40 the best way to go? Won’t be used more than 2-3 times a week. I could do a staggered look 215 front and 235 rear lol

Tire choice

Discount guy is suggesting S drive (130 a piece) or Nitto neo gen (100 a piece). Any other suggestions or are these good? I’d just like it to not be crazy to drive if rain hits.

Comment

I run an Apex 17"x8" ET 25 wheel with 235/40 Yokohama S Drives square, fenders rolled, liners pulled. I like the S Drives, have used them on wet track days and thought they did really well (did not crash).
                    Comes close to rubbing at the passenger rear wheel well and both front wheels.
                    I also run 235/40 Goodrich Rival S on dry track days, these are even closer to rubbing (square tire edge) but do not. Love these tires.

Comment

I went with 215/40-17’s on my kopis. The nitto neo gens is what I decided to run. They look great on the car.

Comment

Working...
                      X